Questions From New Narrator

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Questions From New Narrator

Post by kozikowski » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 pm

this morning's clip the RMS was -60.9
That's no sound or only the background sound.
That's too far off. I'm betting you're recording the laptop built-in microphones now, not the Yeti. What does it say in the little box next to the microphone symbol up in the Audacity toolbars?
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 11.34.29.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 11.34.29.png (8.36 KiB) Viewed 350 times
That's the setting for my little Shure Brothers USB adapter.

If it's the wrong thing, then you might have gotten Audacity confused in the cable swapping. If you pull the Yeti connection while Audacity is still running, Audacity may "forget" the Yeti connection when you plug it all back in. Make sure everything is plugged in and restart Audacity. Then go back to the little microphone window and see if the Yeti is there. The actual words could be anything.

The software connection for the Behringer devices, for example, says "USB Audio CODEC."

The desperation method is see which devices are listed there (screen grab or write them down). Unplug the Yeti and restart Audacity and one of those devices will be missing. That's the Yeti software connection. Plug the Yeti back in, restart Audacity and select that listing. Tell us what that setting is. I don't have a Yeti.

It will probably not shock you by now that one recommendation is stop using a computer to record your voice. I have a stand-alone Zoom H4 recorder that works a treat and doesn't have all these odd settings and confusing processes. The longest post on the forum is Ian who just wanted to read books from his apartment in Hollywood (the location, not the metaphor). 39 forum chapters and over a year. He's successful, by the way. He's being hired for all sorts of voice work.

Let us know.

Koz

DianneG
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by DianneG » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 pm

It still says Microphone (Realtec High Definition) and I checked some of my previous recordings and they all say that so it didn't change to the computer's mic. I will check out the Zoom H4 recorder. But, in the meantime, do you think my setup is now good to go the way it is? I am getting passing scores on the check with the mastering you suggest.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:22 pm

I will check out the Zoom H4 recorder.
That one's no longer made. They have an H4n now. The original was a good basic recorder. The marketing people got a hold of it and now they advertise "37 Microphones!! Super Stereo Modes!! Cures Cancer!!" Nowhere does it say the new one sounds better than the old one.

If you applied Audiobook Mastering and got close to passing without additional processing...is that what I heard you say? Then yes, it should be close enough for jazz.
noise floor... is -23.7 and exceeds the noise floor.
That's the noise reading you get when you mess everything else up. I agree that was probably a one-off user error.

Zoom used to make a really well-done H2 personal recorder. Josh Turner used a little H2 for the whole first half of his musical career.

https://www.youtube.com/user/200000028
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcVec_RPwuc

He has the same name as a successful country and western performer. What could possibly go wrong?

Zoom created an H2n with "37 Microphones!!, Cures Cancer!!). Classic H2's are selling for their original new price on eBay.

If you are comfortable enough now with the setup and know where the goblins are buried (to mix a metaphor), Then I don't see any reason not to push ahead. You should find out the process for submitting a test to ACX. Nothing like reading the first volume of a book only to have ACX reject it for something nobody thought of.

If submitting a test seems difficult to do, find someone else to listen and do a critique.

Another fair warning: At least one performer got bounced for including the wrong number of seconds of room tone in her submissions. All of the problems are not advanced electronics.

Koz

DianneG

Post by DianneG » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:56 pm

I did see an H4 recorder on Ebay for about $100 so that might work.

In the meantime, I'll submit a test to ACX. I just got my First 15 Minutes back and approved on one of the books I'm working on so I'll probably use part of that.

You've taught me a huge amount about sound recording and I appreciate it very much. I am a lot better prepared than I was a few days ago. I now know some of the pitfalls to watch out for and I can hear more of the mistakes than I could before. So I'm going to move ahead with the two books and see how it goes.

Thank you!

Dianne

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:25 pm

I did see an H4 recorder on Ebay for about $100 so that might work.
I think I would just pay attention to the computer recording for a while. If you had page after page of problems with no end in sight, then maybe start looking for another way to record.

There is one other thing that stand-alone recorders can do for you. You're not geographically restricted. I shot a brief sound test between the packing boxes in the back of the garage. Wonderfully sound dead, those cardboard packing boxes.

I shot several actual voice performances in a storage closet at work. "No, thank you. You can leave all the paper files and boxes in there. I'm good."

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Microphone (Realtec High Definition)
What does your built-in microphone say?

Koz

DianneG

Post by DianneG » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:29 am

It says Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input.

So far my files are all passing the check after running the mastering suite.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 am

all passing the check
Do they sound like you?

Koz

DianneG

Post by DianneG » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 am

Hmmm, yes they seem to. My voice always sounds different to me when it is recorded.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 am

My voice always sounds different to me when it is recorded.
Leading to the common complaint, "Do I really sound like that?"
Probably, yes.

I have a very odd microphone that does a respectable job by capturing the sound bouncing around inside my ear. It's used to capture telephone conversations.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/TP7SoundTest2.mp3

That's not a microphone sitting in front of my lips. The whole thing is jammed in my ear. That head/ear sound is one reason we have no idea what we normally sound like.

Koz