Non-destructive editing?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Non-destructive editing?

Post by steve » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 am

Use "Truncate Silence" first to remove the gaps, then "Join".
(See: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/trun ... lence.html)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Fuchalmania
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Fuchalmania » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 am

CASW wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 pm
I am new to Audacity having only previously used SADiE.

In SADiE the original audio is never changed and edits are made through an EDL (Edit Decision List). Edits are simply pointers to the main audio track(s).

This means that if you change your mind and want to include something previously cut then it is easy to reinstate that clip. My impression is that Audacity works differently. It creates a working copy of the audio and edits change that copy. If you subsequently change your mind and want to include a clip that you have removed then that's not possible. Is that correct?

A radio documentary may contain many elements: various interviews, actuality, music, efx. etc. A single interview may be cut into a variety of different sections and used throughout the programme. Can Audacity cope with this or is it the wrong editor for this sort of work?

Any advice gratefully received...especially if you are familiar with SADiE.
HI CASW,

I've come from a SADiE 24/96 background too. So I understand how versatile and valuable non-destructive audio is.

Have you tried Ableton software? It's non-destructive and very versatile for editing quickly. I never found it as robust as SADiE, but at fraction of the cost it's worth a look-in.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:04 am

The original tracks are muted and remain as protection copies.
Closer. Good computer hygiene tells us to be able to point to two different places that have valuable work. Thumb drives, external hard drives and Cloud Storage all count. That and don't use MP3 for anything until somebody forces you into it. WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit is good for safety, archive and backup.

Koz