What setting/tool to achieve acceptable RMS level for ADX?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: What setting/tool to achieve acceptable RMS level for AD

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:31 am

Working from a fresh copy of the work, I applied the corrections out of order putting Low Rolloff last and got noise of -60.6.

??????

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:37 am

Hopefully, my voice isn't too bad. I'm a little nervous to put this out there.
I don't think you have anything to worry about for theatrical reading. Do you read to a congregation? It sounds like you've done this before.

We're worrying over fine points of technical file quality.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 am

A note. I don't remember asking; Sample.wav is a raw, unprocessed reading, right? You didn't do anything to it before you posted it?

If you submit in mono rather than stereo, you can get 20 seconds of performance in before the forum cuts you off. Record in stereo if you have to, split stereo to mono and delete one track.

Koz

AngelicBeaver
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by AngelicBeaver » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:49 am

My ear isn't all that critical right now, I suppose. I followed the steps laid out in your link (shown below), applied the noise reduction with the 666 settings, and it passed the ACX check and sounds about as good as my voice ever sounds to me.

I don't really understand what the Equalization is doing, or what "low rolloff for speech" does. I couldn't hear a difference between my original and the changed track.

I don't have a shock mount, just the desk mount on a heavy blanket and I try to be really still while I'm recording (I'm standing while reading, and I've been using a tablet so I don't make much noise turning pages). I've got a lot of unused reference books lying around, and I might put a few of those under it.

As far as reading goes, I did a little theater back in High School, but my reading has been mostly to my little ones. A guy was looking for a narrator for a book he wrote, and a friend of mine tagged me in the post a few weeks ago. I'd never really considered doing audiobook narration, but I figured I'd give it a shot, given that I already had a microphone and a passing familiarity with Audacity.

I'm going to keep researching, but getting a result that could pass the ACX guidelines was my first major goal, and I've achieved that with your assistance. Thanks.

— PROCESS:
These instructions are in short-form: Location > Tool: Options > OK

Select the whole reading or chapter by clicking just right of the up arrow button (on the left).

Effect > Equalization > Select Curve: Low rolloff for speech, Length of Filter: about 5000 > OK.

Effect > RMS Normalize: Target RMS Level -20dB > OK.

Effect > Limiter: Soft Limit, 0, 0, -3.5dB, 10, No > OK.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 am

You should not be able to hear Low Rolloff working. That's the earthquake filter.

Many "home" microphones don't bother to be careful about making noises so low pitch that nobody can hear them. Earthquake, thunder, heavy trucks, Metrobusses, etc. The problem is Audacity can hear them and they screw up the sound processing tools.

So we filter them out as a first step. It's a rumble filter. The other two are very audible. RMS-Normalize sets overall volume and the limiter squashes the blue wave tips (peaks) which might otherwise create distortion.

In ACX-Speak, that's RMS between -18dB and -24dB and the Peaks lower than -3dB. As we both found, that leaves noise just at the very edge of not working. Noise Reduction of the Beast easily solves it and can't be heard working in normal use.

So what's left is all about you. It may take you a chapter or two to settle in, but I can listen to a story in that voice.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:37 am

I've got a lot of unused reference books lying around, and I might put a few of those under it.
The shock and vibration filter is misleading.

You need both parts. The folded towel provides a low inertia "gooshy" layer that desk vibration has a hard time working through. The mystery novel is the high inertia layer damping out anything that manages to get through the towel leading to almost perfect noise suppression.

But the book can't make any noises on its own and that's why paper works so well. Plus the book provides a stable platform for the microphone.

Anybody doing a ballistic, frequency and motion analysis of that little pile would have no trouble covering a blackboard with the forumulae.

Oh and be careful what you do with the wire. You can transmit noises mechanically up the cable. Note the cable loops in this install.

The white zig-zag rubber bands are the towel and the weight of the microphone is the book. If you thump the microphone with your finger, it will sloppy-wiggle for a half-second.

Koz