Recording Volume Slider?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Recording Volume Slider?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Johnb2 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:10 am

Hi Koz

20db boost buried in sound panels?????? OMG, until recently I kept record slider at 80% and the micport at half way open and the levels bounced into the yellow occasionally. I thought I was doing good. I will look for sound panels on my win10 tomorrow.
Johnb2

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:41 am

Usta be.

The older soundcards had volume problems (inheritable, apparently) and started to ship with a volume booster as an option. I swear there was a posting relatively recently where someone found a similar setting in a newer computer.
until recently I kept record slider at 80% and the micport at half way open and the levels bounced into the yellow occasionally.

Don't forget those settings. You may be returning to them.

If you don't come up with anything in Windows settings, this may be normal... but it's just so weird after weeks and weeks of low volume and noisy performance postings and complaints to have you pop up apparently swimming in abundant, good quality volume. The words, "What's wrong with this picture?" keep escaping my lips.

There are Unicorns. Chase is a Producer of a Skype podcast (no longer active). His claim to fame was turning his computer on, run Skype, start an Audacity recording and crank out podcast after podcast with his brother/partner at the other end of the Skype channel. I don't know of anybody else who can do that. Most times you need purpose-built software, or multiple computers and a mixer the way I did it. Chase is a Unicorn.

There's also the possibility (reverting to industrial-grade pessimism) that something you have is broken. You wouldn't be the first performer who bought three more microphones and they were all terrible compared to the original one—which was broken—or more accurately, didn't follow manufacturer's specifications.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:52 pm

kozikowski wrote:I cross-posted in the forum looking for Windows help.

What exactly is the practical problem? USB inputs tend to be "hot" on later Windows, actually applying positive gain at high input levels and less gain at lower levels.

Sometimes there is a difference (in either direction) between USB 2.0 and 3.0 (blue).

Yes you can look in Windows Sound, Recording tab, right-click over the USB device and look in the "Levels" tab for any boost controls, but usually this is not configurable.

Pro interfaces with special drivers might be able to offer "unity gain" at 100% Audacity slider level, so that at 100% the input level chosen in the device matches what is recorded in the Audacity waves ( http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=93542 ) . But I think that is quite unusual. Your device has no special drivers, so it behaves as per the Windows USB Audio Class drivers that come with the machine.

So I think you could experiment reducing the Audacity slider level a little and increasing the device's input level a little, and see which sounds best without introducing too much surface noise. You might get a more "airy" sound this way. The general principle remains that it is better to keep the Audacity slider (fairly) well up and the device input level down.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Johnb2 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Thank you Koz and Gale - you guys are awesome!
Johnb2

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production