Best size for recording room? And what acoustic foam to get?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Best size for recording room? And what acoustic foam to

Permanent link to this post Posted by ericcartman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:35 am

that's excellent, thank you very much I will order one right now ! It's a bit more than 30 USD here but it is still less either 1/4 or less than 1/2 the price of a Focusrite scarlett 2i2. On UK Amazon, some people complain that the Behringer is noisy, but a youtube reviewer says those are probably faulty individual units, because he knew of people who had exchanged them and that had solved the problem.
ericcartman

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:57 pm

MIDAS have been bought by Behringer.

Dipping briefly into Brit-Speak of always referring to companies as plural.

Which preamp is better?
some people complain that the Behringer is noisy

That's concerning. And like how would you know? I have a fuzzy philosophy item that says you should always own or have access to two of everything. There's just nothing like digging yourself out of trouble or claiming service or warrantee repairs because "my other one doesn't work this way."

I don't exactly have two UM2s, but I do have a good stand-alone mixer for comparison.

And just to bring another item around, I don't have a SM58, but I do have an "ES58" by GLS Audio which is cheaper, slightly brighter and noticeably louder. I also have an A/B comparison sound test that any minute I will be able to find, from back when I had access to both. It's true. The SM58 will withstand being swung around your head repeatedly on the end of the cable during a vigorous performance, but it's not particularly loud.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by ericcartman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:17 pm

kozikowski wrote:
some people complain that the Behringer is noisy

That's concerning. And like how would you know? I have a fuzzy philosophy item that says you should always own or have access to two of everything. There's just nothing like digging yourself out of trouble or claiming service or warrantee repairs because "my other one doesn't work this way."

thank you for this. Those complaints on Amazon could easily be from people who don't know how to use the unit properly (or have noisy environments, bad mics etc but put the blame on the pre-amp). The reviews on the American Amazon site are excellent.

And just to bring another item around, I don't have a SM58, but I do have an "ES58" by GLS Audio which is cheaper, slightly brighter and noticeably louder. I also have an A/B comparison sound test that any minute I will be able to find, from back when I had access to both. It's true. The SM58 will withstand being swung around your head repeatedly on the end of the cable during a vigorous performance, but it's not particularly loud.

Koz

this is really great to know, thanks ! That mic is 1/3rd the price of an SM58, which warms the heart. There is a fellow on youtube who tried using an SM58 with a Focusrite 2i2 for podcasts, and (assuming he was using everything correctly) he also found it too quiet, even with the Focusrite turned all the way up. Since low voice to noise ratio is already an indisposition of mine, the louder mic you kindly recommended sounds much more appropriate for me. Steve recommended a similar priced mic as a good alternative to an SM58 which he thought not bright or crisp enough for audiobook production. It's name (or number) escapes me but I have it written down somewhere.
ericcartman

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by Johnb2 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi Koz et al.

Special thanks for all your inspiration and advice to dummies like me. I have been reading your posts religiously. I currently use a micport pro with a condenser and based on your suggestions just today ordered a UM 2. Enough of this !

I have some moving blankets - ready to set up. How many walls do you recommend. 3 or 4 or how many? If 3 should I face the wall or away from the wall. Does ceiling need a blanket and/or floor.

Thanks for all your all advice.

johnb
Johnb2

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:06 am

I'd suggest using a mic that is a bit brighter with high frequencies.

There we part company. Over weeks of digging people out of trouble, it's my impression that bright, clear presentation rapidly turns into harsh, grinding, ear-piercing sibilance and Essing when you start to apply filters, effects and particularly Noise Reduction. So it's the exact microphone characteristic not to use when you're starting out. There is "De-Esser" software, but it's experimental and a little magic to use.

I've said repeatedly the microphone is way down the list of importance compared to a nice quiet, echo-free room. I did a sound test using my laptop internal microphone. It passes ACX and as I recall, I did little more than adjust the volume for ACX conformance (attached).

Put blankets or soundproofing everywhere. My third bedroom ceiling and all four walls are padded and the floor is heavily carpeted. The room is full of junk. That's optional, but a room with a lot of "stuff" in it is not dreadful. I used a jammed storage closet to shoot several voice clips at work when I couldn't do it anywhere else. Boxes of tractor-feed billing documents work a treat. If you can't break up your sound at the wall, break it up on the way to the wall.

If you don't have enough material to cover everything, the fuzzy rule is Opposing Surfaces. If you do all the walls, you don't have to build a microphone cave. There is no undesirable side-spill. All the walls are dead. I think I mentioned I had an office with perfectly aligned walls. I could clap loudly and it would still be bouncing between the walls when I got back from lunch.

Leave a short gap between the pad and the wall. That's better at killing echoes. I recent performed a full short story in the bedroom (to see if I could do it) and past my inept reading, the only shortcoming was the ability to hear street traffic coming through my thermo-pane window.

Just now thinking about this, rather than attacking the window with close-fitting wooden panels, I bet I could mount a heavy curtain rod and hang a couple of furniture moving blankets.

Koz
Attachments
MBASoundFinal-Cut.wav
(908.14 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:03 am

kozikowski wrote:
steve wrote:I'd suggest using a mic that is a bit brighter with high frequencies.

There we part company. Over weeks of digging people out of trouble, it's my impression that bright, clear presentation rapidly turns into harsh, grinding, ear-piercing sibilance and Essing

In context koz, we were talking about an SM58, which are still good stage mics despite the age of the design, but for digital recording they really do sound a bit dull. I prefer to minimize the amount of post-processing, so I'd prefer not to need to boost the top end in an attempt to "put back what's not there".
(I totally agree on the importance of a nice quiet, echo-free room)

Your latest audio sample - clearly non recorded with an SM58 (pun intended):

firsttrack006.png
firsttrack006.png (210.15 KiB) Viewed 737 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:03 pm

Gray Hair? No that was not an SM58. But I was not likely to process it to death, either.

Perhaps a gentle 15 KHz roll next time is indicated. It's not good to get too close to the 44100 coding limit. It's lovely that I'm entertaining dogs and bats, but maybe that's not useful. That might make lip smacks a little less obvious.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:56 pm

If you are setting up in the basement and have access to the ceiling beams, the walls can be wherever you want them to be. You can make a room one blanket wide and deep.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:06 pm

You won't know where the shortcomings are until your first serious recording. For example, I could not have predicted my Growling Tummy Syndrome (GTS).

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production