Question About Function - Multi-Track Script For Play?

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Here is what I’m trying to do, and I wanted to see if it was possible using Audacity.

I am an actor, and one of the methods I use to learn my lines is to make a multi-track recording in which I perform all the dialog for each of the characters. So basically what I need to be able to do is create four or five tracks and then move back and forth between them, recording the lines for the various characters as I proceed through the script.

So far I haven’t been able to figure out how to do this with Audacity, and I wondered whether it was possible? I can set up the tracks, but I don’t seem to be able to “select” them for recording. Every time I hit record - rather than making a recording of the selected track - it creates an entirely new audio track.

This is probably me being goofy. I appreciate any assistance offered, thank you.

What version of Audacity? What version of Windows, Mac or Linux?

Audacity has append-record into the selected track(s): http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/playing_and_recording.html#Continuing_recording_in_an_existing_track. Click between Mute/Solo and the track name (to left of the waves) to select that track then hold SHIFT and click Record or SHIFT +R.

If you want to use the keyboard to select tracks, UP arrow or DOWN arrow to change the track focus (marked with the yellow border). ENTER toggles selectedness of the focused track.

Gale