Fledgling voice artist seeking counsel.

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
MichloIW
Operating System: Please select

Re: Fledgling voice artist seeking counsel.

Post by MichloIW » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:30 am

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Definitely better.
What happens if you turn the recording volume up to 100%?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

MichloIW

Post by MichloIW » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:05 am

steve wrote:Definitely better.
I'm still in the process of updating the newly wiped machine (after backing up my fella's 84 GB of data which he believes he already has but we all know how that goes) so can't test just yet.

BTW, before I wiped the machine I did try it without the power cord just to rule that out as well. Also, once I had it here in my home office I could detect a very slight click. That would seem to correlate with the click which appeared in the new background noise. Since wiping and formatting I'm not hearing it any longer. Perhaps something to do with the software controlling an SSD? Not sure.

WOULD anybody record at 100%?

Cheers.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:24 am

SSDs make no noise, very little heat and will withstand physical abuse (within reason). They are poster child devices for laptops and portable equipment. They have no moving parts. If the machine is making noises it may be the fans or cooling system. If the old operating system was very busy much of the time, the cooling system may have needed to work hard causing little noises.

I had a laptop that worked that way. I had to stop recording and drink coffee while it was periodically cooling itself.

Your machine may have been serving "personal files" to Tasmania as a pirate background task. Tasmanian "personal files" generates a lot of heat.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:27 am

WOULD anybody record at 100%?
Many volume controls inside a computer are actually attenuators. So 100% isn't maximum amplification. It's just taking all the attenuation out.

I use mixer and equipment settings that make the client the happiest.

Koz

Robert J. H.
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Robert J. H. » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:47 am

MichloIW wrote:
steve wrote:Definitely better.
WOULD anybody record at 100%
Definitely.

One of my microphone pre-amps tends to be noisy at the top end. I get the best results with the audacity input full up and the mixer setting at about 70 %.

MichloIW

Post by MichloIW » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:44 am

Aye, I sometimes had to wait as well when the cooling span up. It didn't happen often as I had very little running for that very reason. :)

All I know is that the very quiet sound with the repetitive click is no longer audible to me. I'm almost done with the zillion updates and then upgrade to 8.1. I may yet have a chance tonight to record with it otherwise definitely in the morning.

Interesting to hear about the 100%. I would have thought it more dangerous since I thought it would give the capability of picking up extraneous noise. I shall experiment tomorrow.

I fear I'm going to have to re-do Cattle from the start once last time else I'll probably not be able to match up correctly with what I've already done. Ah well, I'm inhabiting the characters more easily now so perhaps it is a good thing.

As always, your humble and grateful student. :)

Cheers.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:26 pm

MichloIW wrote:WOULD anybody record at 100%?
As others have said, it depends on the equipment.
100% may mean "maximum amplification", which will probably introduce too much "hiss" noise.
100% may mean "no attenuation", so that you get the full signal - less than 100% simply reducing the signal.

With my usual setup, I have a mixing desk that goes to a USB sound card that goes to the computer. Typical settings for that setup are:
Mixer input gain: about 60%
Mixer channel fader: 0 dB (goes up to +10 dB)
Master channel fader: 0 dB (goes up to +10 dB)
USB sound card: 100% (fixed)
Computer control panel (Linux): 100 (goes from 0 to 120)

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:02 pm

As a very fuzzy rule and then only on analog mixers, I start out life with the three volume controls at 2/3 to 3/4 up.

It's generally a sign of problems if everything is run full up or close to it. That's when you start looking for troubles like bad batteries or running the microphone the wrong way or bad cables.

However, if that's the way to get the show into the digital "can," then that's the way it is. We'll troubleshoot later.

Koz

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:03 pm

I've received an off-forum suggestion for something else to check.
As far as we are aware, the only place in Windows 8.x to set the recording level for a Blue Snowball microphone is in the Windows Sound Control Panel. However, some microphones (such as the Blue Yeti) there is a third place - a "Mixer" accessed by left-clicking on the system tray speaker icon. Audio device drivers are sometimes changed/updated, so it may be worth checking in case there is such a "mixer" for your mic.