Unwanted automatic Noise Gate

Hello, I have started to create ASMR videos and I have the pleasure to use Audacity as a sound processing software. So I’m constantly looking for the perfect sound, 0 noise, clear, deep and crackling sound. Last week I recorded a stereo track and everything went well. In the meantime, I did the last update of Audacity and I discovered with amazement that on my recording, the background noise had been automatically removed.

The worry being that I like to work and adjust my audio track, according to this noise, so I need to have it out. As you can see on the attached picture, the background noise is totally removed, while normally you can hear the ventilation of my computer and natural noise. It looks like an automatic Noise Gate but it has the consequence to cut the beginning of sentences and give the impression to have recorded in a cave…

You can hear it in the attached audio file.

I have searched hard, but I can’t find anything on the subject, so I’m asking for your help, thanks in advance!

asmr1.PNG

Audacity is not to blame, it’s either Windows “audio enhancements” adding the noise-gate,
or audio enhancements added by the computer manufacturer, e.g. MaxxAudio.
All audio enhancements (recording & playback) should be turned off for a faithful recording.

Hello, thank you Trebor for your answer, but there is the problem, I had previously taken the time to disable all these automatic enhancements of windows, the effect applies even if everything is disabled … Do you have other suggestions?

I did the last update of Audacity and I discovered with amazement that on my recording, the background noise had been automatically removed.

You can back out of the last update. It’s possible to download and install older Audacity versions.

Stop recording on the computer. General Purpose Computers can create all kinds of interaction damage during recording including other audio applications that have nothing to do with Audacity such as Skype, Zoom, Meetings or games.

You can try a Windows Clean Shutdown.

Shift+Shutdown > OK > Wait > Start. Do Not let any other applications start.

Koz

There can be a second layer of audio-enhancements from the computer manufacturer, e.g. MaxxAudio.
Or Skype/Zoom may have a hold on your microphone.

It’s definitely not Audacity to blame : it’s not capable of applying (noise-gate) effects in real-time.

If you try Audacity’s competitor, OCENaudio, and the problem persists then that’s proof Audacity is not to blame.