The pops continue...

Started doing a little recording on a replacement interface to see if I could generate those pops. Didn’t take long… The first take was from the original script I was reading. I hear it at the beginning when I say “Cassie”, and again when I say “I”. The next two takes I just said the same thing, and got the exact same results. Thew fourth take I raised my pitch, and I’m not hearing it there. The next two I just did goofy, and got the pops there too, though not on Cassie, but on “I” and “never”. The last take I lowered my pitch, and still there. This is not background noise. Not mouse clicks or anything else. Anyone have a clue what the heck it is? Thanks in advance…

Well, that file was too large, so I’m just attaching the original. That should suffice, with the info above.

You could be too close to the mic. Your mouth needs to be further away. Even a pop filter won’t soften it if you are too close.

I actually figured this out last night. The sound is coming from my sinus cavity.

I thought that might be it. :slight_smile: I had a similar problem.!

The metallic impact on"T" of “intended” is worse than the (mouth?) click on “I” of “and I”.

More protection for the mic, (pop-screen and/or clown-nose), and/or move further back from the mic.

BTW a pop-shield needs to be about 4" from the mic to work, (not closer or touching),
and arranged in a way that it does not transmit the shock it absorbs to the mic via the mic stand.
(e.g. shock-mount for the mic, or a separate stand for the pop-shield).

You might make good use of Oblique Positioning (B). Most of those compression air noises go straight in front of your mouth/nose (and slightly down). Don’t put the microphone there.

You may find you don’t need the tennis racket pop and blast filter or the foam clown nose.

“B” also has the advantage that it stops the microphone from blocking the script, allows your voice to be louder (most home microphones record quiet), and greatly reduces the possibility of screen noises.

A while back I wondered if the rapidly switching fine wire mesh inside a cellphone screen could generate electrical noise. It can. This doesn’t affect me because I’m one of the four people on earth who reads from paper. But if you read from a phone, you might want to keep it away from the microphone. I tried testing with a tablet, too, but oddly, that wasn’t as bad as the iPhone.

Oblique Placement does affect your vocal tones and you have to be careful about bobbing and weaving while you’re being expressive, but that’s a piffle compared to the advantages. The audiobook people don’t care about pure theatrical tone. They care that all your chapters match.

Koz

So how did you work around that issue rachalmers?

I actually do use my mic in the “B” position, pop screen exactly 4" from it. Thank you for the advice! That file was completely untreated…

People actually narrate books from their cell phones? I’m trying to picture how that works. Lol.