Quiet Beeping Sound

I just watched MKBHD’s review of the 4/20 apple event and he has a quiet beeping behind his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vInUoPtg8m0

It’s not there all the time. It depends on the edit. Tee Tee Tee Tee Tee.

I think it’s the same noise that one of the forum posters complained about and I think it’s appeared more than once. I wrote to Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) but there’s zero chance he’s going to see it.

I’d give a lot of chocolate to find out where that’s coming from. I’m afraid it’s going to be a Venn Diagram. IF you’re on a USB microphone, AND you’re using USB-C, AND you have a Mac, AND it’s Thursday…

Koz

My guess would be power supply.

My guess would be power supply.

That’s safe. Somehow, the disturbance is getting into either the condenser element or the little transistor impedance matcher, but is it coming up the 48 volt phantom power, the five volts in the USB cable? USB-C isn’t limited to five volts. Are we listening to USB-C negotiating with the microphone for higher voltages?

Is this a Thunderbolt problem? Conversion between USB-C and Thunderbolt?

I note the tonal analysis puts interference right through the middle of voice frequencies meaning you can’t easily get rid of it in post production filtering. That’s not insignificant because it kind of kicks your audiobook career in the head.

Remember frying mosquitos?

Koz