Complete ignoramus re audio stuff, trying to do audio books. Part 1

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Ianto
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Complete ignoramus re audio stuff, trying to do audio books. Part 1

Post by Ianto » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:10 pm

I disappeared without saying thank you, so - well, thank you.

I've come on a bit since the above, with the advice that everyone (especially kozikowski) gave.

I invested in a Yeti microphone, and am using a Bush Tablet Thing running windows, along with a "usb to little phone socket thing" converter, so I can plug it straight into audacity running on it, which is great for punch and roll, without any fan noise.

But to be honest, the solid state drive computer I got second hand seems to run nice and quiet. But anyway.

The aging and awkward Roland, along with the mysterious microphone are gone. And there is such a difference in the quality of the recording. And similarly in the ease of production.

Anyhow, I've just had my first fifteen minute checkpoint approved. By someone who actually sells a decent number of books (well, I think so anyway!)

There is no way I would have been here without the advice given here, so a belated thank you.

Now to get down to the hard work!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck with your book :)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Ianto
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Ianto » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:13 pm
I'm not dismissing it out of hand. You can match your speaking style with the material. There is nothing like the Mark Twain stories read in a region appropriate accent.
I've finally got one book up on audible, which was set in America, but the author was happy with my accent and "burr". This won't be the case always, of course!

I'm currently producing another one which is set in Wales, and the author is *more* than happy with my accent and burr. (And by an author who sells a fair few books.)

As you say, it's horses for courses - good advice!