ACX-Check

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Ianto
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: ACX-Check

Post by Ianto » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:18 pm

steve wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:01 am
Their automated loudness measurement is more sophisticated than our ACX Check plug-in, in that it automatically removes long silences prior to measuring. It also checks that the loudness is reasonably consistent throughout the file, whereas our plug-in just takes an average measurement. Their "robot" was not publicly available.
Oh dear. I think I may fall foul of that. My files passed the ACX check on Audacity, but there were changes in volume throughout which I did attempt to correct, but a couple of chapters may well fall foul of that. I don't know, not knowing the parameters.

I've uploaded them all to the "upload manager", which has an audio check, which came back with this "Audio Analysis provides feedback on your uploaded audio files, allowing you to see and correct any issues before submitting your project to QA. Files are analyzed against ACX’s submission requirements for RMS, peak levels, bitrate, bitrate method, sample rate, mixed channels, and duplicate files.

No issues detected. Keep in mind that this tool does not detect issues such as spacing, noise floor, or editing errors, so be sure to conduct your own end-to-end review of all files before submitting your final project to QA.".

Oh, I don't know. I think when it comes down to it, however helpful this forum is (and it has been very helpful), there is a learnign process you just have to go through in the process of actually trying to get an audiobook passed.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:32 am

Please note all that analysis and detection and measurement is everything either of us can do without a human. No more Human Quality Control to detect vocal damage, excessive sibilance, and theatrical errors until you submit the whole book.
there were changes in volume throughout which I did attempt to correct
Do you wear comfortable, sealed-on-the-head headphones while performing?

That can go a super long way to evening out voice performances. That and keeping a fraction of one eye on the Audacity bouncing sound meter. You are the recording engineer.

Koz

Ianto
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Ianto » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:29 am

Yes, I do wear headphones when recording, and try to keep the performance even.

Not knowing the parameters, as I say, it might be me just being overly picky of my own work. I hope it is. Certainly my guinea pig listeners didn't notice it, but that means little.

Oh well, will know when it comes back or not!