I think I've messed it up again - please help!

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: I think I've messed it up again - please help!

Post by kozikowski » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 am

I'm assuming that these people actually have MONEY?
At the time I produced that and similar graphics, that Olympus recorder cost about the same as a medium quality USB microphone. It will produce Audio CD quality sound files and will do it for eight hours on a battery—and it comes with a rechargeable battery.

It has zero computer problems, makes no noise and easily moves to wherever it's needed.

And with modest noise reduction will produce ACX conforming audiobook sound files.

Compare that with the pages and pages and pages of people having computer problems recording their audiobooks.

So as above, your product is entirely up to you. You define the goal and we will help where we can.

You can do well by making a mini-studio such as this with towels, blankets or carpeting.

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 07.48.54.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 07.48.54.png (183.71 KiB) Viewed 90 times

Also, get the computer as far away as possible and make a wall of towels (over a chair?) so you can't see the computer from the microphone. That should go a long way to suppressing background noise.

Koz

Deeplyconfused
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Deeplyconfused » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:10 am

Ah - that sounds cool...
(What if I wrapped towels around my pc?)

No - I don't think that would be a good idea - but I'll think on it.

I'm sure that that there must be a way to get around this - it's just a case of figuring it out!

(Maybe I could wrap the mic in something? Gosh darn - I'll just pull the trigger and see what happens!

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:30 am

Do Not do anything to the computer that restricts the cooling air flow. Of course, the air flow is precisely what's creating the noise.

The gaming people get this big time. They go through great effort to have a powerful computer to render the color gaming graphics in real time. Powerful gaming computers sound like a Diesel engine. OK, now let's do live-voice game commentary. Good Luck with that.

The illustration that looks like hardware store plastic pipes jammed together actually is hardware store plastic pipes jammed together. No glue. The whole thing just falls apart when not in use. The pipes can be dirt cheap and you can build that little table-top studio.

The combination of no money and a loud computer is very difficult. Do you have a smartphone?

Koz

Deeplyconfused

Post by Deeplyconfused » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:10 am

I have a 'mobile' phone, but all I can do with it is make phone calls, oddly enough.

(Still, it is probably smarter than I!)

:D :D :D

PS: I actually have 'gamer' headphones - which are really impressive - the sound quality is amazing for such an inexpensive bit of kit!
Unfortunately, they also make my mistakes really easy to hear! (Never had this quality of kit when I jacked in computer games in 2005! When I first started working in computer games in 1995, they wouldn't even let me have a sound card! I was only an artist - not a programmer! ;) )

A pc with a whole 695 meg of RAM - ah... those were the days, weren't they? :lol:

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:44 am

all I can do with it is make phone calls, oddly enough.
And text. I bet it has a 1-2-3 keyboard and my three character name would take nine keystrokes.

That is pretty odd.

I may have some 1/2" (16mm) plastic pipe in the garage. I wonder how far I can get making a micro studio. I'll need to buy the elbows.

I made a microphone vibration isolator out of that stuff.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/pvcShockMount/shockmount.html

Koz

Deeplyconfused

Post by Deeplyconfused » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:06 am

Sorry Dude - I can't handle texting - my fingers are too big!

(And I don't understand textspeak - I can only speak English...)

Also, I find it even more frustrating than Word, which constantly tries to 'correct' my English spelling into American. It has
taken me quite a while to 'add' the correct English spelling into my dictionary - but every now and then I miss something! :lol:

Still, it's immeasurably superior to 'the olden days', when I had to physically type my stories onto ACTUAL paper!
(Yes - I owned a typewriter - the stories I could tell you about correction fluid! :lol: )

Deeplyconfused

Post by Deeplyconfused » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi there!

This is juust a quick question, but I need to give a little detail first.

I thought I had solved the sound probs - got a dinky little refurbished laptop, Black Friday bargain price.
(Samsung NF210 10" Intel Atom)

It's got a cracked screen, but as I only wanted it for Audacity - nil problemo. The important thing is that it's much,
MUCH quieter than my pc!

Unfortunately, I can't install Audacity, as the api-win-crt-runtime dll is missing.

I tried installing the update from Windows, but both the ones I tried (Windows 7, 86 and 64) aren't accepted.

So, I just wondered if you had any suggestions, really. Is there a really 'simple' version that would run on
this laptop? Or some less sophisticated audio recording software that might? (I'm thinking I could record raw wav files,
then 'assemble' them in Audacity on my noisy monster!)

Or should I just return the laptop? (There's a 7 day window on this.)

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:27 pm

You just stepped out of my world. I know some versions of Windows had the hitch of leaving some of the DLLs out (Dynamic Link Libraries, if anybody asks). Yes, edit on the noisy machine, but you will also have the problem of transferring work between the machines. Did you try that? I never got that to work reliably on my Windows machines.

One of the many reasons I'm typing on a Mac.

That machine may have been a bad idea. You may have bumped into the reasons it was such a good deal.

Koz

Deeplyconfused

Post by Deeplyconfused » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:38 pm

In answer to your question, I've never owned more than one pc at a time, but I've exchanged graphics files with fellow artists running Windows without any difficulties. Never tried it with audio, so I'm not sure why it would be a problem - just something else to worry about! :D

AH well, looks like I'll have to give up on recording my audiobook untill I can afford a new computer. Gotta get this laptop returned pronto - get my money back!

Ta for your help!