Add "excitement" to audio

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
LivingInternet
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Add "excitement" to audio

Post by LivingInternet » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Trebor wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:32 pm
I suggest it be applied twice at these settings ...
Thanks. The bar on the left for me goes from -5 to -160, and I cannot figure out how to get it to go to -10 as in your pic. How did you do that?

sib-cm.PNG
sib-cm.PNG (28.3 KiB) Viewed 126 times

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by Trebor » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:53 pm

LivingInternet wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:41 pm
The bar on the left for me goes from -5 to -160, and I cannot figure out how to get it to go to -10 as in your pic. How did you do that?
When that plugin is first opened it erroneously says "-160".
That is corrected to -10 when preview is enabled ...

''-160'' is an error which goes away after enabling preview.gif
''-160'' is an error which goes away after enabling preview.gif (474.31 KiB) Viewed 123 times
With the "twice" settings I've suggested, the preview will have too much de-essing.
But the effect applied is less than what you hear in the preview.

It's annoying that the result applied is not the same as the preview, but that's a quirk of Audacity :
other VST plugins exhibit the same behavior when in Audacity.
Attachments
''templateS & toolS'', original , then two applications of Sibalance-CM, then presence boost.flac
(232.94 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

LivingInternet

Post by LivingInternet » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:22 pm

Trebor wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:53 pm
When that plugin is first opened it erroneously says "-160". That is corrected to -10 when preview is enabled ...
Ah, so -160 is really -10. Understood.

I selected the second person from the left as in your pic, the one showing a person in front of a mic. (This records a parameter in the macro of Mode=0.3333.)

Interestingly, for threshold, when I put it in a macro, a threshold of -10 records as a parameter of 0.0. A threshold of -5 is recorded with a parameter of 0.1625. And a threshold of 0 is recorded in the macro with a parameter of 0.3286. Just for info, whatever works for them.

Attached is a test, with the settings applied once, twice, and three times. Is twice the winner, or do you think three times is better, or have other suggestions?
Attachments
sib-cm-1-2-3.wav
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 7 times

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:39 pm

LivingInternet wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:22 pm
I selected the second person from the left as in your pic, the one showing a person in front of a mic.
The "mic" is a neck-tie, to indicate a man , (male sibliance occupies a different frequency-range than female).
LivingInternet wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:22 pm
Is twice the winner, or do you think three times is better, or have other suggestions?
I go with two applications of this*, followed by a slight treble-boost (presence)...

suggested slight treble- boost after two applications of sibalance-CM.png
suggested slight treble- boost after two applications of sibalance-CM.png (135.87 KiB) Viewed 118 times

[ * I don't know how that translates into macro : I've not tried that ].

LivingInternet

Post by LivingInternet » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Trebor wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:39 pm
I go with two applications of [url=download
I currently have the following applied at the end from a previous post of yours. Are the numbers additive, and I can just add those to the ones you suggest, or is there another way to combine them?
Attachments
meq.PNG
meq.PNG (217.67 KiB) Viewed 116 times

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:06 pm

LivingInternet wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:45 pm
Are the numbers additive, and I can just add those to the ones you suggest, or is there another way to combine them?
Don't combine them, it's one or the other.
Those equalizations are so close, only ~1dB difference, you could just leave the Marvel GEQ presence-boost that you've got in the chain, (after double de-essing with sibalance CM).

LivingInternet

Post by LivingInternet » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks much. I tried it on a long track, and it sounds great to me. And this is the first time I've felt that! So it is good to go.

Your help has been invaluable. You are going to heaven. Or deserve whatever kind of spiritual reward works best for you.

I'll post a consolidated summary of everything we have done. Give me a week or so on that as I will be buried in processing in the near term. I will post a link to that at the top of this thread for others.

LivingInternet

Post by LivingInternet » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Note to others: a consolidated posting of the effects of all the interchange on this post can be found in this post Voice improvement - consolidated effects.