Add "excitement" to audio

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Add "excitement" to audio

Post by Trebor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 am

audio-excerpt1.wav (1.27 MiB) & audio-excerpt2.wav (1.51 MiB) have different problems.

#1 has rattle, (on "how to plan and manage", both before & after), #2 doesn't have rattle.
On second thoughts, I think the rattle is mechanical, being generated in the microphone, as it's faintly on the unprocessed audio. Lowering the pitch is bringing it down from 12kHz-14kHz where it's barely audible, to 10kHz-12kHz where it's subjectively louder. Then the treble-boost makes the rattle even more conspicuous.
So the rattle originates in the mic, but is being made conspicuous by pitch-shift down, and treble boost.

#1 & #2 there is too much de-essing : the volume dips noticeably on sibilance and those parts sound muffled.
The de-esser threshold set to low for that "essential items" audio.
LivingInternet wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:37 pm
... do you have recommended "less than reasonable" settings ;-)
less-then-reasonable.png
less-then-reasonable.png (114.91 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Attachments
''essential items'', original, then 'less-than-reasonable' De-Ess & EQ, your version (with too much de-ess).flac
(972.14 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

LivingInternet
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by LivingInternet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:43 pm

(Edit, please use the audio-excerpt2 file attached, I forgot to use lighter EQ boost as per your updated pic above in my post a few minutes ago - post now edited with correct file.)

Thanks. Here in audio-excerpt2 is with lighter EQ boost and de-essing - the muffling seems to be gone. I'm going to live with residual clicking, and the mechanical rattle from the mic is something I'll fix for future recordings. Any remaining problems or changes required to the processing already done - does anything sound over done?

Thanks much.
Attachments
audio-excerpt2.wav
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 6 times

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:56 pm

LivingInternet wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:43 pm
... the mechanical rattle from the mic is something I'll fix for future recordings.
Any remaining problems or changes required to the processing already done ...
To me that rattle is intrusive. It can be reduced with equalization, at the expense of presence ...

reduce-rattle equalization.png
reduce-rattle equalization.png (22.89 KiB) Viewed 140 times
reduce-rattle.XML
data for the above curve to be imported into Audacity's equalizer
(10.46 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
To prevent the rattle in future you'll probably need a different type of mic.
Attachments
''how to plan and manage' 'before-after ''reduce rattle'' equalization.flac
(293.41 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

LivingInternet

Post by LivingInternet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Ok, where should it be put in the chain? Chain is currently: change tempo, change pitch, normalize, ozone pseudo stereo, presence boost, de-ess.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:47 pm

LivingInternet wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:30 pm
Ok, where should it be put in the chain?
Chain is currently: change tempo, change pitch, normalize, ozone pseudo stereo, presence boost, de-ess.
Whatever effects were applied here, rattle-reduction EQ should be inserted after that.
[definitively not before "change pitch"].

LivingInternet wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:30 pm
... Chain is currently: change tempo, change pitch, normalize, ozone pseudo stereo, presence boost, de-ess ...
If that's Audacity's native normalize, rather than RMS normalize, you're unlikely to get consistent volume.
Without consistent volume, de-essing will be inconsistent, (too much if it's loud , too little if its quiet)

De-essers only act above a volume threshold, to get consistent de-essing the audio it's being applied to has to be of a consistent volume.

LivingInternet

Post by LivingInternet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Ok, thanks, I'll put rattle reduction at the end of the chain.

Re RMS normalize, I found it created so much clipping, however I've played some more, and found that -22 dB produces a track significantly louder than peak normalization, and with just a bit of clipping, so seems to be a sweetspot for my tracks.

However, Ozone Imager then adds a bit more clipping, and mixing that with the mono creates more clipping again. So the question seems to be when to apply the limiter. Doing it after RMS normalize doesn't seem right, because I'd have to do it again after the Ozone and mix.

Therefore, should I proceed with (a) change tempo, (b) change pitch, (c) RMS normalize to -22 dB, (d) Ozone, (e) mix, and then (f) apply the limiter? And then (g) EQ boost, (h) de-ess, and (i) rattle remove?

The attached is the result of that chain.
Attachments
audio-excerpt1.wav
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 6 times

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:18 pm

LivingInternet wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:07 pm
Re RMS normalize, I found it created so much clipping, however I've played some more, and found that -22 dB produces a track significantly louder than peak normalization, and with just a bit of clipping, so seems to be a sweetspot for my tracks.

However, Ozone Imager then adds a bit more clipping, and mixing that with the mono creates more clipping again. So the question seems to be when to apply the limiter. Doing it after RMS normalize doesn't seem right, because I'd have to do it again after the Ozone and mix.

Therefore, should I proceed with (a) change tempo, (b) change pitch, (c) RMS normalize to -22 dB, (d) Ozone, (e) mix, and then (f) apply the limiter? And then (g) EQ boost, (h) de-ess, and (i) rattle remove?
If, immediately after "RMS normalize to -22 dB", you limit to -6dB rather than -1dB, that should give you more headroom : and reduce the need for limiting again at subsequent stages.

(soft) limit to -6dB, with No make-up gain.png
(soft) limit to -6dB, with No make-up gain.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 129 times

LivingInternet

Post by LivingInternet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks again. Result attached. Anything else?
Attachments
audio-excerpt1.wav
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 5 times

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:22 pm

LivingInternet wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:05 pm
Thanks again. Result attached.
ATTACHMENTS audio-excerpt1.wav (1.55 MiB) Anything else?
That sounds too sibilant to me.
The pattern of sibilance is now too complicated to be corrected by Steve's de-esser, which just has 1 band.
Paul-L's De-Esser can have dozens of bands, 5 will do ...

settings used on Paul-L's DeEsser.png
settings used on Paul-L's DeEsser.png (13.01 KiB) Viewed 121 times

Paul-L's De-Esser should only be used on mono, as it will add weird effect on stereo/pseudostereo.

Rather than use two de-essers in your chain, just use precision one : Paul-L's.

(a) change tempo,
(b) change pitch,
(c) RMS normalize to -22 dB
(d) (soft) Limit -6dB
(e) de-ess using Paul-L's
(f) rattle remove EQ
===================== below are deluxe options
(g) Ozone (pseudo-stereo)
(h) EQ boost (presence)

LivingInternet

Post by LivingInternet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Ok. This means I need to reorder the chain, as much of it had been done after the pseudo stereo. I'm not sure how the effects affect each other. Does the following make sense?

1. Change tempo
2. Change pitch
3. RMS normalize
4. Limiter
5. EQ remove rattle <-- should this be done before normalize, even first?
6. Boost EQ
7. Paul de-ess

8. Ozone and mix to pseudo stereo

9. Limit again if (8) introduced clipping.