HELP! Same set up over two days, but different audio quality!

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
ss630
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: HELP! Same set up over two days, but different audio quality!

Post by ss630 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:30 am

kozikowski wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 am

You are recording your MacBook or iPad built-in microphone, not the Meteor.
Oh no, I definitely I am not anymore. Those are just the default settings that came up when I imported the raw wav file I had into audacity again. I learned from that mistake and did the scratch test, that is definitely from the meteor.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:51 am

What does that little microphone window say when you're recording? If you have to keep repeatedly changing it, you should be able to change the default in:

Audacity > Preferences > Devices > Recording > Device> [Set it] > OK.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:03 am

And that's another Twilight Zone experience. I can change the little microphone setting on the Audacity work window and the setting sticks.

Which Audacity are you using?

Audacity > About Audacity.

Koz

ss630

Post by ss630 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:30 am

kozikowski wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:51 am
What does that little microphone window say when you're recording?
It says Samson Meteor. I am using Audacity 3.2.0.

ss630

Post by ss630 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:39 am

Okay, back home, some more specific info. The microphone bar, when the mic is plugged in before opening Audacity, reads 'Samson Meteor Mic', only after I select it. I then get the option to change to stereo, but I stay in mono. "Core audio" is the only option on that tab. And the last one can be built in output or Samson Meteor Mic. I learned yesterday that if I use built in output, it will playback through my laptop BUT I can have zero latency recording hooking up my headphones to the jack in the meteor. On the Samson Meteor Mic setting for the right hand tab, I could not hear myself at all while recording, but the playback would be through my headphones.
kozikowski wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:51 am
What does that little microphone window say when you're recording? If you have to keep repeatedly changing it, you should be able to change the default in:

Audacity > Preferences > Devices > Recording > Device> [Set it] > OK.
I just went and did this, hopefully that will put it on default. I have had to switch it manually each time, and that's definitely how I made the mistake that originally brought me here.

'Also, just wanted to say I'm not disregarding the fantastic info sent before on adjusting the room and mics! I'll save my questions for later so we don't get pulled in a million directions. :)

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am

If you constantly plug and unplug the Meteor, that could explain why Audacity keeps forgetting it's there. Still, if you plug and unplug while Audacity is off, it shouldn't make any difference. We point out that Audacity checks for devices when it starts, or when you Transport > Rescan..., so it's desirable to plug everything together, let it settle and then start Audacity.

There's a trick to catch software working behind the scenes. Set up for normal announcing say a few words and then just stop. Automated systems hate that and they will slowly (30 seconds) increase the volume and make the background noises louder and louder.

Samson is proud that their microphones don't need drivers or additional software, so we can't lay the blame on that. Games? Do you like computer games? Multi-player games can affect how your microphone works.

And there is the possibility that Meteor's just naturally work at high volume. But with no good, convenient way to set the volume, that doesn't seem to be a good design decision.

Koz

ss630

Post by ss630 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:23 pm

I let it settle and plug everything in before opening audacity, exactly. And while I do have Steam for games, none use a microphone and I make sure nothing else is running when I record my sessions. I'll do the test you suggested when I get home!

There is the volume control swivel on the microphone, but that just controls headphone volume, correct? Or have I been making a big mistake there?

ss630

Post by ss630 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm

My Samson meteor with the volume control button/swivel/what on earth is the word for that.
Attachments
Screenshot_20181008-102434_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20181008-102434_Chrome.jpg (290.21 KiB) Viewed 142 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Yes, that is the headphone volume control on the front. We assume you can't adjust it while performing. Touching a microphone in mid performance Is Not Done.

Pending the results of your long pause test, I'm going to conclude the Meteor is just a high volume microphone. And yes, I'm perfectly clear how dangerous that is for a New User.

A simple Google search turns up page after page of low volume problems for the Blue microphones, but almost no mention of volume problems with the Meteor. Meteor complaints tend toward "It's too small" and "I don't like the color."

I can live with that.

They do mention it has a sensitivity to "Yeti Curse" whine, as do many microphones in this series.

OK...... Shoot the 20 second voice test. Hold your breath and don't fidget for that two seconds. The rest of it is not high theater. Read the milk carton. "Hudson Valley milk is produced by contented cows......." The idea, past the room tone section, is to get many different words in there so to catch odd sound problems.

Koz

ss630

Post by ss630 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:03 pm

Of course I'd get the challenge :) And okay, will send asap but I can't until later tonight. I really appreciate all the help as I do have several audiobooks I'm working on. Taking this time instead to go on full research mode with them while we sort this out.