Advice on Chris's Dynamic Compression: use INSTEAD of RMS Normalize? When to do the De-Noise?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Advice on Chris's Dynamic Compression: use INSTEAD of RMS Normalize? When to do the De-Noise?

Post by kozikowski » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:52 am

Let us know how using Effect > High Pass Filter goes.

Koz

EricMC
Operating System: Please select

Re: Advice on Chris's Dynamic Compression: use INSTEAD of RMS Normalize? When to do the De-Noise?

Post by EricMC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:42 am

Sorry to have been absent for five days.

Had a busy couple of days at work.

Thank you. I will see if I can spot the difference between LF Rolloff and High Pass (though I'm guessing that Rolloff might be more flexible).

I will also look into the best de-Essing.

I promised you a sample of actual book.

Here are two from the opening para:
Chapter 8 sample for Koz.wav
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Chapter 8 sample 1 unprocessed.wav
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
The first was RMS Normalized, dynamically compressed and then limited; the second was the original raw recording.
I have not tried de-essing yet.

The second two were at random from further in.
Chapter 8 sample 2 for Koz.wav
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
Chapter 8 sample 2 unprocessed.wav
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
Same processing for the first; the second raw.

Just as a matter of interest do these latter two samples even sound as though they would need de-essing?

And generally, after that processing, does the voice remain natural enough to pass the ACX human test?

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:19 am

I will see if I can spot the difference between LF Rolloff and High Pass (though I'm guessing that Rolloff might be more flexible).
If you have a low pitched announcing voice, you will notice a much fuller and firmer voice with High Pass. The down side is High Pass may allow more home microphone errors to go through.
Just as a matter of interest do these latter two samples even sound as though they would need de-essing?
Doesn't matter. You can't mix and match corrections through the audiobook, If you use a correction once, in general you need to do the same thing the whole way. Chapter matching is a big deal with ACX. That's also why one of the goals is to pare the number of effects to a minimum. Don't throw extra corrections in there because you feel like it. You will need to do that [email protected]#$% correction for the whole book.

One of the good things about DeEsser (as far as I can tell) is it makes the decisions for you. If it's not needed, it just doesn't do very much, and you can't tell ahead of time.
The first was RMS Normalized, dynamically compressed and then limited; the second was the original raw recording.
I so wouldn't do that. RMS Normalize may intentionally create sound damage that Limiter cleans up. If you stick a compressor in the middle, Compressor may try to carefully preserve the distortion—or make its own. That and putting a compressor anywhere means some tools like Noise Reduction stop working right.

I'm listening to the works.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:34 am

You got supersonically lucky. Your microphone system appears to be very well behaved and you don't need the extra protection of Low Rolloff. This is from the unprocessed clip.

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 18.26.29.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 18.26.29.png (39.81 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Chapter 8 sample 2 ModifiedMastering-4.wav
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 8 times

=================
So this is High Pass: 40Hz, 24dB (instead of Low Rolloff)

Effect > RMS Normalize: Target RMS Level -20dB > OK.

Effect > Limiter: Soft Limit, 0, 0, -3.5dB, 10, No > OK.

Followed by DeEssing at its default settings.
==================

I don't see any need for Noise Reduction. The clip passes after those corrections, further, I bet it sounds exactly like you, except a little louder.

I think the background noise is actually better than that. ACX Check couldn't find a continuous, clean 3/4 second of background sound to measure.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:06 am

Here. Watch. I'll do it again. Same settings.

There is one difference to this one, I added gentle Noise Reduction of the Beast (6, 6, 6) at the very end of the process. Technically, it's not needed. You pass without it, but it sounds just a bit better with it.

Drag-select a segment of clean room tone. Effect > Noise Reduction > Profile.
Select the whole clip by clicking just right of the up arrow (on the left) > Effect > Noise Reduction: 6, 6, 6 > OK

If you set your playback voice volume for comfort and then play the whole clip, the noise at each end for all practical purposes vanishes. All that and you still sound like you.

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 18.53.54.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 18.53.54.png (39.85 KiB) Viewed 155 times

I really hate sleeping in my armour. It gives me such a crick in my back.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:30 am

If someone posts you need to go in and remove all your breaths, I don't agree. I think that's a perfect dramatic reading just as it is and I think ACX will agree.

Koz

EricMC
Operating System: Please select

Post by EricMC » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks once again, Koz, for all your help.

garyr
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Post by garyr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:11 am

<<Jury's out on Noise Gate. Typically you can hear it working and ACX hates that. People claim success and I should investigate.>>

I'm using noise gate to reduce breath sounds
reduction -22 dB
threshold 15.8 dB
attack 120ms (any faster than that reduces -ed and -ing and plurals on the ends of words)
release 707 ms

That still leaves a sound, but not a distracting one. Some of the loud ones need to be reduced too. But that's an easy one to do during proofing--select and amplify -15.

Of course it will depend on the volume of the original recording, and mine are at about peak levels.

I use Noise Reduction only when the washer-dryer in the next room are being recorded along with my narration.

So my success with Noise Gate is GREAT. I'll be interested to see what anyone else experiences with it.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:14 am

washer-dryer in the next room are being recorded along with my narration.
Since Noise Reduction in any setting but the most gentle affects the voice, I should avoid recording when they're running.
I'll be interested to see what anyone else experiences with it.
I'll be interested in what ACX thinks of a submitted sample.

viewtopic.php?p=349993#p349993

Koz