Help needed with SSSibilance

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
atomvoyager
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Help needed with SSSibilance

Post by atomvoyager » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm

I went over the sample and mastered it in this order:
1. EQ
2. RMS Normalize
3. Limiter
4. De-Esser set to -25, 2.0, 3000 to 5555, 10, 5.0
5. Noise Reduction 6,6,6

If you could have a listen to this sample compared to the unmastered one at the top of the thread I'd like to know if you think it is good enough for the listener not to get annoyed at the remaining sibilance. I can only detect a small improvement but maybe it's enough?
Thanks.
Attachments
TNDS Sample 1 with DeEsser.wav
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 11 times

atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Does anyone think I can improve it further with different de-esser settings?

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:00 pm

I heard an improvement to the final 9 seconds you edited but the strongest sibilance is in the first 7 seconds on the words "swarming" and "sailing"
I got lost. My sample post was raw, uncorrected for the first 9 seconds and then "DistantSeas" filtered for the rest. You were intended to apply that custom equalizer plugin to a different raw reading and see if it's enough.

We only correct a portion of the sample in order to be clear the difference between before and after. If we didn't do that, you would have to swap back and forth between two different sound files to hear the difference. That's a bit more of a juggling act and it's easy to be listening to the wrong thing by accident. Of course, that never happens to me.

I need to leave for a while.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:49 am

We're splitting fine hair. Try one with the first DeEsser value Threshold set to -30dB rather than -25dB. That should make the corrections a little quieter and hopefully less obvious. That's what it did last time I tried it.

Remember start with a fresh, raw read file each time. This is a good time to get used to Exporting live performances as WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit. You can do many different chores with that file and not have to read it again.

Koz

atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:41 pm

OK will do. I just tried using -30 on the original file and that helps. I think I can go forward at this point. When I save files in Audacity I have the setting at Windows 16 bit but for some reason when I open the files later they have reverted back to 32 bit.

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by Trebor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:44 pm

atomvoyager wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:41 pm
... When I save files in Audacity I have the setting at Windows 16 bit but for some reason when I open the files later they have reverted back to 32 bit.
Everything opened in Audacity is converted into 32-bit.