Clipping after RMS Normalization

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Clipping after RMS Normalization

Post by kozikowski » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:57 am

I just soft-recommended someone else try the PortaBooth. Whoever gets here first with the review wins.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 am

I've been experimenting and I think I've got something that's going to work
And you're going to tell us all about it, right?

The powered hub used to be one of the go-to techniques to help with The Curse, but too many people found cheap-garbage powered hubs that caused as many problems as they cured. So we stopped.

We're getting more and more experience with DeEsser and I may know how to tune it...a little.

Record a new clean forum test and post it.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/Test ... _Clip.html

Koz

Vanellope
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Post by Vanellope » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 am
I've been experimenting and I think I've got something that's going to work
And you're going to tell us all about it, right?

The powered hub used to be one of the go-to techniques to help with The Curse, but too many people found cheap-garbage powered hubs that caused as many problems as they cured. So we stopped.

We're getting more and more experience with DeEsser and I may know how to tune it...a little.

Record a new clean forum test and post it.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/Test ... _Clip.html

Koz
Here's a new clean test. I put up a blankets behind me and to the right of me (covering the shoe rack completely) so I am now surrounded by fabric on all three sides. I have it plugged into a powered USB hub, but I still seem to be having a bit of static/background noise after I apply the Mosquito Killer. Is that just something microphones do and I'm just being overly picky? I still seem to be having some harsh S's and T's. Do I have my mic on a weird setting, or is it normal to have to go in and manually adjust levels on consonants? Thank you again!

Raw clip
Greek Mimes.wav
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Background noise after Mosquito Killer
Background noise.wav
(146.04 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by Vanellope on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:02 am

Totally better. You sound like a pro announcer or someone sitting next to me telling me a story. Pretty much exactly what ACX likes.

You should know you pass ACX Check with just the three tools: LF Rolloff, RMS Normalize and Limiter. Pass it pretty well, too. Noise at -67.7 which is noise values I usually get with many of my microphones.

A note about listening: Roll forward and set your voice for comfortable volume. Then roll back, don't touch anything and play it from the beginning. If you do that, Room Tone (background noise) is gone or close enough so it doesn't matter.

You do have occasionally bright SS sounds, so I applied DeEsser at the default values.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 17.48.20.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 17.48.20.png (48.47 KiB) Viewed 125 times

I can watch it tweaking an SS here and there.

And just because everybody likes to be obsessive. I applied gentle Noise Reduction of the beast, 6, 6, 6.

I think you're done. Do Not apply Mosquito Killer. That's for hard-core whine sounds. You don't have that any more.

GreekMimes-mastered.wav
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 9 times

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 17.53.54.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 17.53.54.png (39.58 KiB) Viewed 125 times

See if you can duplicate that on your machine. To repeat, I just applied Mastering 4 at the posted values, DeEsser at the default values and Noise Reduction of the beast. You remember Noise Reduction is in two steps, right?

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:10 am

Most people hate mouth ticking, popping and other mouth plosives, but there is some discussion about breathing. I don't know ACX has ever complained about normal breath sounds and they sound perfectly natural to me. Since it would take a million years to suppress each one, I would leave them in and see what they say. I'm betting nothing.

Koz

Vanellope
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Post by Vanellope » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:23 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:10 am
Most people hate mouth ticking, popping and other mouth plosives, but there is some discussion about breathing. I don't know ACX has ever complained about normal breath sounds and they sound perfectly natural to me. Since it would take a million years to suppress each one, I would leave them in and see what they say. I'm betting nothing.

Koz
I just wanted to let you know, I just booked my first audiobook job, and it's all thanks to you!!! Thank you so much for all the help you gave me! I couldn't have done this without you :)