Will pay for help fixing my files

Literally, if someone is willing to help me fix the noise floor on these to make them usable to submit to ACX I will pay $30 per hour.

If you’re interested please email me at Brittany.a.schank@gmail.com

I’d love to learn what I did wrong and how to edit these files properly for the future so I don’t run into this again, but want to give this customer the files they’ve been waiting for :heart:

Here is a snapshot of what my acx plugin told me when I ran it on these files. When I Submitted for final review to acx they were disapproved due to the noise floor. Additionally, I have attached a sample of a recording that was submitted.
B582C3EE-7BB9-4CA1-8D1C-0302FB46B2EE.jpeg
Sample.aup.xml (2.65 KB)

AUP is not a sound file. That’s the Audacity Project manager file. It’s text, not sound programming.

Do you have any of your work “raw,” after you read it but before you did anything to it?

Do you work in stereo, two blue waves; or mono, one blue wave? If mono, drag-select about 20 seconds of a raw reading and File > Export > Export as WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit).

Scroll down from one of these forum text windows > Attachments > Add files.

If all you have is the processed work, post some of that. Do you remember where you got your audiobook mastering technique from? A web page address? We’re starting to see people arrive on the forum with the same mistakes and it would be good to know where they’re coming from.

We’re not for hire. Let’s see if we can help first. This may not be particularly fast. We’re all volunteers and our time available has to line up.

Koz

Can you post the message they sent? They always give you a sentence or two of explanation not just a pass/fail.

Koz

This is a double post, right? You have a very similar message thread further down.

Why don’t we work on one at a time? As above, this is a volunteer force and double posting wastes what little time we have.

Koz

Absolutely, here it is

“Issue: The submitted files do not meet our noise floor requirement
Requirement: a maximum -60dB noise floor
Solution: In post-production, you may use noise gating or reduction to help reduce the noise floor. Please be mindful that incorrect use of this kind of software can lead to poor sound audio. The best way to go about lowering your noise floor is to identify and eliminate the source of the noise. Often it could be the microphone picking up a loud sound from within the room or it could be a gain staging Issue with your recording equipment. Please be sure that any noise emanating appliances (air conditioner, computer fan, fluorescent lights, etc.) are turned off or isolated so the microphone does not pick up the sound. Our recent ACXU seminar Studio Gear Series goes over the importance of sound proofing your recording area. The Mastering topic in our Video Lessons & Resource section contains samples of what a noise floor should sound like.”

Koz,

Thank you again for your assistance. My sincere apologies for the duplicate post, I will ensure not to duplicate anymore and clog up this thread.

I did not save any of my raw work :blush: all I have are the edited clips.

I work in mono. I have attached the properly formatted clip onto this reply. I believe you have heard this one before. There is a fan going on in the background (just as there was when I recorded the actual audiobook). I also attached a snippet of the audiobook (edited) to this reply.

I used a combination of these two YouTube videos to get my Audiobooks formatted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860umaXuRco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBucUZOdtzQ

Do you recommend or think I am going to have to re-record everything?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Respectfully Submitted,
Brittany Schank

Koz,

I can actually show you exactly what I did with the formatting, maybe that would make it easier? (or at least you can tell me where I went horiffically wrong → minus needing a quieter spot).

1. I would click a quiet area and select “Noise reduction” then I would select “Get noise profile” I would then select all and then select “Noise reduction” again with the attached numbers for formatting.
  2. I would ensure all was selected and use the “Compressor” tool.
  3. I would ensure all was selected and use the “Normalize” tool.
    4.PNG
    2.PNG
    3.PNG

Thank you. I need to take time to go over that.

You posted a raw reading on the other thread. I can force it to meet normal ACX technical specifications, but not voice quality. We can’t take processing out of a track or show. So I think your existing stuff is dead.

I think you’re stuck reading it again…in a real studio.

We can almost always fix your home recording system…over weeks.

Koz

The maximum value for Noise Reduction before it causes conspicuous computery artifacts is about 10dB ,
Apparently you’ve used 100dB :open_mouth: . I don’t how you managed that : mine only goes up to 48dB …

My Noise Reduction  slider only goes to 48dB.gif

:woman_shrugging:t2:Eek I typed in 100 instead of using the sliders.

you may use noise gating or reduction to help reduce the noise floor. Please be mindful that incorrect use of this kind of software can lead to poor sound audio.

They got better at it. They used to forbid Noise Reduction and most other production tools. We used them anyway, but were careful to do it so you couldn’t tell what we were doing.

Our recent ACXU seminar Studio Gear Series goes over the importance of sound proofing your recording area. The Mastering topic in our Video Lessons & Resource section contains samples of what a noise floor should sound like.”

That also is new and better. They used to say, “Here’s the specs. Have a happy day.”

They also used to start the day with a tour of the sound booth they set up in their apartment. OK, hands? How many people have a sound booth?

Koz