Noise Floor

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
BrittanyS
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Noise Floor

Post by BrittanyS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:53 am

Perfect, I have a lot of learning (and desire to) :)

No need to fix it by noon, I definitely don't need that.

It took me quite some time to break it, I'm sure it will take quite some time to fix it :lol:

Thanks again for your assistance with this.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:35 am

Describe the system. Which microphone and how is it connected? We know you're on Windows 10.

Do you use Skype or other chat programs?

Go down the Windows adjustments and setups and make sure these settings are turned off. Do that even if you don't have those particular problems.

Read through the Windows segment of this document.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq ... hancements

I still need to take some time and read through those YouTube recommendations.

We published a simple mastering process and when we get everything working, you can try that. A lot of problems are caused by a bare wood floor and bare white walls. In other words, every stylish house in the US. I know professional engineers that will refuse to shoot sound in those houses.

They're terrible for sound.

Koz

BrittanyS

Post by BrittanyS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:47 am

I have a blue snowball microphone.

I do not use skype or other chat programs.

I turned off the fan and took a new recording of the space I am currently in. I have attached the raw recording of this for starters or getting my environment set up the right way so I don't run into this again.
Attachments
Quieter Sample.wav
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 12 times

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by Trebor » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:47 am

BrittanyS wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:47 am
ATTACHMENTS Quieter Sample.wav (1.42 MiB)
That has a lot of infrasound, (i.e signals below 20Hz). Infrasound is not audible,
but you need to remove it before applying effects which have threshold settings, like using noise-gates & compressors.
You can remove all the infrasound using a high-pass filter, called a rumble-filter, a/k/a "Low roll off for speech" ...

Low roll-off for speech.gif
Low roll-off for speech.gif (201.08 KiB) Viewed 160 times

BrittanyS

Post by BrittanyS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:08 am

Great, thank you so much, I will do this. . Do you have any recommendations of what other filters I should be using to get this to acx standards? it looks like it meets all the specifications (according to the acx plugin) but the noise floor still looks a bit off. (At least we’re aren’t -200db anymore 🤗😆) progress 😀

Also, I have another question. When I’m eliminating my breaths, coughs, etc, is it okay to use the silence icon or will that throw off my noise floor? Also, should I be going through and using that silence button before or after adding in my filters/effects?

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:10 pm

There is a rumble filter built into Audiobook Mastering 4. A lot of microphones do this.

This is me catching up.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:51 pm

You said you normally produce in mono. You should publish forum clips that way, too. That way you can post up to 20 seconds instead of 10 for stereo. Also, you noticed the ACX Check display is simpler in mono. ACX recommends submissions in mono.

And when you do post tests, use a lot of different words. My joke of reading the side of the milk carton or cereal box. If you use the same three words for twenty seconds, we don't have a variety of different sounds to inspect.

For example: "We noticed at fifteen seconds the word "Pepperidge Farm" has popping P sounds." That's from reading a cinnamon bun package.

Quieter Sample is much more natural and probably sounds a lot like you, except I think you're too close. As Trebor above, you have a lot of rumble and thunder sounds and although the microphone is making some of it, you're making the rest. You should be about a Hawaiian Shaka away from a bare microphone.

You may notice your volume drops when you do that. That's correct. You generally can't hit perfect volume on a home USB microphone—but you can get close.

There's nothing wrong with a Snowball. I've shot sound tracks with one.

Are you using the little stand that comes with it? If you are, then you might consider the book and towel trick to keep it from picking up desk and floor noises.

That will also put the microphone up higher and make it easier to announce and read the text without hunching over.

Please note in this illustration, the whole thing is sitting on a dark blue pad? You can simulate that with two layers of bath towel. That prevents the desk top from messing with the tone of your voice.

Let us know. If you make those changes, post a new test. The 18 second speech also forces you to perform natural pauses and breaths.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/Test ... _Clip.html

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Do you have any recommendations of what other filters I should be using to get this to acx standards?
Yes. We published a simple three-step process for producing an ACX compliant submission. That's later.

It's a terrible idea to try and solve production sound problems later in effects and filters for two reasons: It usually sounds terrible and it's a lot of work you need to perform for every chapter forever.

Thanks. I'll fix the microphone and the room.

So close. Oooone more sound test.....

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:00 pm

The Snowball has switches I need to look up.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:09 pm

Right. The switch on the back should be #1, Cardioid. That means it doesn't receive noises and echoes from the back. You should be talking into the blue logo.

Koz