Noise Floor

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Noise Floor

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:58 am

This is the clip with additional noise reduction (6, 6, 6) and that crisp reducer. That's a custom tool. I need to send it to you if you like it.

Do you remember how to use Noise Reduction? Select some Room Tone > Effect > Noise Reduction > Profile. Select the whole clip > Effect > Noise Reduction > 6, 6, 6 > OK.

8-Sep-18-Sample-Mastered-NR-Crisp.wav
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 11 times

Koz

BrittanyS
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by BrittanyS » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Great, when should I be using the noise reducer in with the three step process you sent me? Before or after or somewhere in between?

Also, that’d be great if you could send me the crisp reducer too. What will this one accomplish? Also, which order should this one go in?

Thank you!

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Again, I don't think you need either of these to pass ACX, but that's up to them. I put Noise Reduction at the end because it's easier to find clean Room Tone after you perform the other corrections. Also as in your case, you won't know you need it until after mastering. You, technically don't need it. I'm just being obsessive.

If you couldn't tell the difference in "SS" sounds between the before and after versions, then you don't need the crisp reducer. It's a special install into Effect > Equalizer and kind of a pain to use.

And this is a terrific reason for the recommendation of good quality sealed headphones or a good quality music speaker system during production. There's just nothing like the puzzled look you have when ACX complains about something you can't hear.

Laptop speakers need not apply. I have a joke about being able to hold your speakers in one hand. If you can do that, it's hopeless.

BadSpeakers4.jpg
BadSpeakers4.jpg (55.95 KiB) Viewed 197 times

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:11 am

Why we hate videos (by Kozikowski)

I sat through most of the second video, the one by Jason Hilton. I don't know that it's particularly helpful. He's using an almost four year old Audacity and the tool settings are out of date. Some of the settings don't matter because he skims over them too fast to tell what he did. I caught at least one fact error, and he made an ACX formatting error. So, just...no.

The other one by Allen Williams has most of the recording process down, but like I said, he's giving the video from a highly soundproofed room. You can get very nearly all microphones to sound presentable if you do that.

There's no shortage of people dying to cut instructional videos for Audacity. There's quite a bit fewer people when they find their video has to go through Audacity Editorial and Error Correction. Suddenly they have to be good at video editing there's zero people wanting to make corrected videos—and error-filled videos just stay posted forever.

There's another posting other than the ones actually from ACX. I should check out the ACX ones. The earlier ones were correct but misleading. One video on Audiobook Production was literally production-only. They started with submitting the mastered sound tracks.

That's not where people get stuck .....

Koz

BrittanyS

Post by BrittanyS » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:42 am

I'm back for a little more help.

I recorded this clip- it's unedited. After I record it, I run the ACX check and I meet noise floor requirements but not others. Once I utilize the effects you have helped me with, I no longer meet the requirements for noise floor. Any ideas for me?

As always, I am gracious for your assistance.
Attachments
Title.wav
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 8 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:37 am

I got it to pass but I did change the tools around a little. You have a very low pitched hum tone probably from a fan or maybe one of your lights. I had a Compact Fluorescent bulb that sounded like that. I change the settings of the first tool, Low Rolloff for Speech a little to get rid of it.

Then I boosted the noise reduction at the end. You're announcing at very low volume and the natural background noise in your microphone system is too close to your voice volume. The noise is where it's supposed to be—you're too quiet.

Effect > Equalization > Curve: Low Rolloff for Speech, Length: 8191, not 5000.

Normalize and Limiter are normal but follow that with stiffer than normal noise reduction:

Drag-Select some clean background noise
Effect > Noise Reduction > Profile
Select the whole clip by clicking just right of the up arrow > Effect > Noise Reduction: 8, 6, 6 not 6, 6, 6. > OK.

And that should pass with enough elbow room to spare.

See if you can get the same results with that clip

Now that the rest of the problems are cured, you sound like you're announcing in an empty room.

If you're OK with that sound quality in the patched clip (attached) then find out if everybody else is OK with that and submit a test to ACX.

Title-Mastered.wav
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 8 times

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 18.51.18.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 18.51.18.png (39.68 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Once you pass ACX Check (the technical tests) it's all up to Human Quality Control at ACX and your theatrical presentation. I don't hear any obvious ticks or pops and DeEsser tool doesn't appear to do anything, so it couldn't find any problems.

You may be up to Computer Hygiene. When you read a chapter or whatever your natural stopping point is, Export the work as a WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit sound file. Keep it in a safe, separate place. If something happens to your computer or Audacity falls over in a dead faint, it could destroy the current edit forever. Without that backup, you will need to read the chapter again.

At the other end, Export a final edited and mastered chapter as WAV again and then make the MP3 required by ACX. You can't easily open the MP3 and make corrections without affecting the quality. But you can open the WAV. And last, be able to point to two different places that contain your WAV archive. Thumb drives count as does cloud storage in addition to a local hard drive.

From memory, you are announcing for someone else, right?

"Brittany? do you still have your reading of my book? I can't find my files!"

Oh, yes, that does happen.

Koz

BrittanyS

Post by BrittanyS » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:32 am

Thank you so much for always assisting! Thank goodness I found this forum! :D

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:38 pm

Leave us a note what happens.

Koz

BrittanyS

Post by BrittanyS » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 am

I just need to give you guys a huge "THANK YOU!" My first audiobook was just approved through ACX. You guys rock!!!!