Eliminating Frying Mosquitos - hardware suggestion

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
bh2win
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Eliminating Frying Mosquitos - hardware suggestion

Post by bh2win » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:01 pm

This is me catching up. You do have one single pronounced "noise" tone at 60Hz. In the US, I would be accusing you of having a fan, air conditioner or other motor running in the room. Power in the US runs at 60Hz. But if you're in NZ......??
I am in the U.S. guaranteed it's my computer. Still willing to try my laptop.

bh2win

Post by bh2win » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:12 am

So I was listening very closely to my audio and I could hear electricity somehow.

I also switched to a laptop, the fan can be picked up but I have nothing else running except audacity.

I noticed that touching the XLR cable at the mic caused it to disappear. After finaggling with it for a bit and unplugging everything else in my UPS (battery backup) I was able to get the sound to stop.

I now have a noise floor between -51 & -48, but there are crickets going crazy outside so that was an unforeseen issue.

Here is a sound check and reading, no effects, with just a laptop and the mixer.

Also, I can't believe how sensitive my microphone is. I can pick up the dogs walking in the other room, yet another challenge.

File Too Large again > 20 seconds: https://mega.nz/#!O2RTEArL!xLvr4XWu_3rh ... K-5ViI-Y1M

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:51 am

20 seconds of Mono. One blue wave. You can convert what you have with the drop-down menu on the left > Split Stereo to Mono. > [X] Delete one of the two waves.

I need to sit and read through that. Human environments are very noisy and nobody thinks twice about it...until they have to record a voice against a quiet background.

I can't be obsessive right this second, but there are two different ways to convert to mono and one of them may give you a quieter background.

As we go.

Koz

bh2win

Post by bh2win » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Reading_with_power_corrected_mono.wav
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
Here you go.
2018-09-03 08_50_26-Reading_with_power_corrected.jpg
2018-09-03 08_50_26-Reading_with_power_corrected.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 185 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:45 pm

The other way to produce mono is by adding. Tracks > Mix > Mix Stereo down to Mono. Theory has it this should produce slightly lower noise because your voice is the same on both tracks, but the noise isn't. So only your voice will add (and divide by two, so it won't seem to have changed).

The touching the microphone thing could be from wall power problems.

This is a simple wall power checker from the hardware store.

You should start at your wall and work out if you have a battery backup system. I've had two errors in places I have lived. One had the ground broken (round pin) and the other had Hot (little pin) and Cold (big pin) reversed. Both of those can give you grounding and hum problems (and are dangerous).

You can also get that touch-hum thing if you have a broken XLR cable (open or ratty shield). And, imagine my surprise, you can have ratty USB connections. If the ground connection on the mixer power and the shield on the USB don't match, instant hum.

Are the mixer and computer plugged into the same AC Wall Power service? They should be.

Why are there red marks on your blue waveforms? The goal of this whole thing is to make Audacity happy. The red marks are where the digital system overloaded and created distortion. If you watch the bouncing meters, they slam all the way up to 0dB during the red marks.

This is what happens if I reduce the volume of your clip slightly with Effect > Amplify: -1dB. That flat spot is permanent sound distortion.The digital system assigns numbers to your sound. Right then the system ran out of numbers.
clipping.jpg
clipping.jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 180 times
As we go.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:00 pm

That can be made to pass ACX technical.

Reading_with_power_corrected_mono-Patched.wav
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 9 times

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 6.44.39.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 6.44.39.png (39.51 KiB) Viewed 179 times

When you listen to that, set a comfortable volume for your reading and then go back to the beginning. Don't change anything. Another New User mistake is crank the volume up as high as it will go to "dig for noise." That may make you happy, but ACX doesn't much care about anything that falls below their specs unless it's really evil like that whine thing.

I ran it through AudioBook Mastering 4.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=96103

Followed by stiffer than normal Noise Reduction (9, 6, 6).

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/noi ... ction.html

If you get rid of the fan sounds, most of the noise will vanish. You should drop to a more normal 6, 6, 6, or even leave Noise Reduction out. If you stop overloading the system, the distortion will vanish. Everything after that will be down to your reading (and room soundproofing).

There's no Audacity filter for either one.

Koz

bh2win

Post by bh2win » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Will try my own ACX-test shortly in the evening, I ran out of time and did a quick sound test again to not have peaks. Here is the audio.
Reading_Wild_at_Heart_no_effect.wav
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
Hopefully this one is better, will follow Mastering ver 4 later tonight on my own.

Soundproofing is next on my list.

Glad to know my audio did pass technical!

Thanks for all your hard work this far into it. We're close, I believe!

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Ran out of time and did a quick sound test again to not have peaks.
Correct. It doesn't have peaks. The clip has perfect sound levels. However, you did the 2-second room tone wrong.

The instructions are "freeze and hold your breath."

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/Test ... _Clip.html

The goal is to have only the room making noise and not you. You have to physically be there because your body is part of the acoustic signature of the room. You can't just Generate Silence because that's useless for setting up Noise Reduction.

The last clip has [shuffle, shuffle, snort, snick, snick] "Every man was once..." I'm not supposed to be able to tell you were adjusting your shirt or settling your pants during that two seconds.

So unless you're really careful how you apply the corrections, you will probably fail the ACX adjustment. I did get the clip to pass with gentle 6, 6, 6 noise reduction by selecting room tone between the shuffle noises. That's the knock-on effect. Do one little thing wrong at the beginning and you pay for it from then on.

That's super easy to fix, so if that's the worst thing that happens all day, you're golden.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:17 pm

If I didn't say so, all you need to do is get rid of the "talking in a kitchen" sound and that's good to go for publishing. ACX can't detect 6, 6, 6 gentle noise reduction and everything else makes it under the wire—just.

One warning, ACX wants your publication chapters to match. So once you set yourself up, don't change anything until you start the next book. And when you get to the end of the last chapter, you may want to go back and read the first chapters over. Because you're a new reader, your first and last chapters will probably not match.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:24 pm

When you apply RMS Normalize, you may get red marks on your show. This is normal and RMS Normalize sometimes does that. But time line sound doesn't overload like outside files do. When you apply Limiter everything will come back to normal.

The three tools are intended to be a suite, a harmonious grouping, each one depends on the others, so no fair mixing and matching and adding tools (other than noise reduction).

Koz