Eliminating Frying Mosquitos - hardware suggestion

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
bh2win
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Eliminating Frying Mosquitos - hardware suggestion

Post by bh2win » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:55 pm

I am a Hawaiian Shaka away from the mic.

Here are two readings.

Gain is at 3 o'clock.
Here are the audio levels as well:
2018-09-02 09_51_47-Audacity.jpg
2018-09-02 09_51_47-Audacity.jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Level for 1st is at 0 (midnight)
Spanish_Flu_Reading.wav
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 9 times

Level for 2nd is at 9 o'clock.
Spanish_Flu_Reading_Level at 9oclock.wav
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 9 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Some Windows versions have a microphone boost setting. That should be off. I have no idea where that would be. Somewhere in the sound panels.

There's another way to work this.

Do you ever get the clip light on the left? Put Gain at 3:00 o'clock, speak normally and increase the level knob until the clip light comes on. Ignore everything else. Back off the level knob until the clip light just flickers as you speak. Then back off the level knob about 1/4 rotation. The clip light should never come on even when you speak a bit louder than you normally do.

Adjust Main Mix until the four green lights come on when you talk. Not the yellow "6" light.

Run Audacity. Record. Re-adjust Main Mix until the blue wave tips just reach about 50% and the bouncing sound meter bounces up to about -6dB now and again when you speak. It's not going to live up there. Voices don't work that way. Voices that go all the way up to 0 become permanently damaged. So we need to avoid that. That's what gives the red bands on the timeline.

Isn't being a recording engineer fun?

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Cut a new sound test. I need to leave.

Koz

bh2win

Post by bh2win » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Do you use Skype or other chat program? Restart the computer and don't let Skype start by itself. Skype can mess up sound levels even when it's napping
Negative.
Make sure Windows isn't trying to help you in the background. I know you don't have this problem, but make sure all the Windows effects are turned off.
Done.
Some Windows versions have a microphone boost setting. That should be off.
It's not present, so n/a.
Do you ever get the clip light on the left?
No they do not, but I'm doing a sound test now per your instructions.
Isn't being a recording engineer fun?
This is harder than my IT job @#*!&&(*@(*#&&[email protected]#&!(%(*@#@*!*&!!!!!

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:47 pm

This is harder than my IT job @#*!&&(*@(*#&&[email protected]#&!(%(*@#@*!*&!!!!!
Probably not. Let's put that in perspective. Talk an amateur into doing your job, in brief chunks of time, text-only, from multiple time zones away and do it on a system neither of you has ever seen before.

Sound is a little wacky. You know that thing on a movie set where the director yells "Roll-Camera!" and somebody else yells "Rolling!" and then the director yells "Action?" Missed a step. In the middle there, the sound lady yells "Speed!" meaning the sound recorder is running. Nobody does squat until the sound lady yells "Speed!"

Sound without the picture is a radio show. Picture without the sound is a rehearsal.

Do let us know if any part of that fails or if you run out of range on the controls. I'm making those numbers up based on past experiences with other sound mixers. Your mixer may not work exactly like that. Once you get this nailed, you can put any mixer you like in there and adjust it. No this is not a waste of time.

Koz

bh2win

Post by bh2win » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:52 pm

New reading, new sound levels.

1st Recording
Level @ 2 o'clock.
Main Mix @ 8 o'clock
Phones/CTRL ROOM @ 9 o'clock
Reading_at_-6dB_no_effect.wav
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
2nd Recording
Level at @ 9 o'clock
Main @ 10 o'clock

The second recording is too large, 3.3MB so I am sharing it through Mega.NZ

https://mega.nz/#!63J3DIZB!nvUeTCbxICow ... OBOAtu3A1s

I am having a hard time making the lights dance between 0-20 on my mixer and also keeping within .5 (50%) for thebouncing sound meter bounces up to about -6dB.

I have "clearer" audio now, but my noise floor still seems suck around -42.
2018-09-02 12_51_45-Audacity.jpg
2018-09-02 12_51_45-Audacity.jpg (10.62 KiB) Viewed 163 times

bh2win

Post by bh2win » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:59 pm

I have "clearer" audio now, but my noise floor still seems suck around -42.
The way the levels are now, I can hear my computer through my headphones. When I turn the computer off, the ambient noise is still audible through the mixer. The ambient noise lessens for sure when the computer is off but is not dead silent.

Might have to move over to using a laptop

Also, I have the moving blankets now. I just need to set up my little audio cave to play nice with the sound.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Sorry. I wasn't clear. The goal is to make Audacity happy. Set the green lights on the mixer as a starting point. Then push that up or down a bit to make the Audacity meters happy. Then, see what the correlation between the two sets of meters is so you can glance at the mixer and know what Audacity is thinking.

The only reason you would pay attention to the knob positions is starting out cold—and if you get too close to either end during a show. Extremes usually means you did something wrong.

I did notice the high noise level, but we never had enough correct, clear performance to critically analyze it.

Do you have a "normal" XLR cable between the microphone and the mixer? That's one of the two connector styles.

Can you tell if the computer is on by listening? Did I ask this before?

As we go.

Koz

bh2win

Post by bh2win » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:43 pm

I can tell that the computer is on, yes.

I am out for a few hours so I can check back this evening on the rest.

I have the XLR cable you showed.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:54 pm

The ambient noise lessens for sure when the computer is off but is not dead silent.
This is me catching up. You do have one single pronounced "noise" tone at 60Hz. In the US, I would be accusing you of having a fan, air conditioner or other motor running in the room. Power in the US runs at 60Hz. But if you're in NZ......???

Koz