Sigh, now I have to perform?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Diver4242
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Sigh, now I have to perform?

Post by Diver4242 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:33 am

I've been on hiatus from writing for a couple of years, a long winter's sleep. Back in the good old days of 2018 or so I wrote some novels and did my own audiobooks with help here from the amazing Koz and a few others chipping in. I'm back now, written and self-published a new novel, and came here after updating Audacity to catch up on the latest techniques.

So now I have to put on a show with sock puppets, a backing band, ponies, clowns, fireworks, and a free Ginsu knife set offer (only if you're one of the next five callers...)? Do they even accept old-school "narrator telling a story" or should I even bother doing it that way? Do listeners expect the full production/show and trash old-school narration in their reviews if they don't get it?

If anyone on the board does productions, DM me with a quote and timeframe, it's about 75k words of literary travel fiction, in case I decide not to deal with this.

Thanks! Bill

kozikowski
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Sigh, now I have to perform?

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:14 am

Do listeners expect the full production/show and trash old-school narration in their reviews if they don't get it?
ACX publishes samples of the work so it's not a nasty shock when someone buys a performance. But you're right, there have been some changes.

The most nasty shock for a performer is the absence of Theatrical Human Quality Control for a short sample reading. You won't know that your voice sucks until you submit the whole book for publication. That pre-book sample reading is the one I failed. The technical quality of my submitted sample was Practically Perfect in Every Way, but they hated my tongue ticks, lip smacks, and epiglottal pops.

Not that long ago, they posted notices that they are selling "Radio Theater" in addition to simple Audiobooks. Multiple Performers, Environments, Music, Intros, Outros, Stingers, Bumpers, and Interstitials are all accepted now and encouraged. [Dum Dum Dummmm]

I suspect strongly that they used to hate music in particular because it would be two simultaneous nightmares keeping track of copyrights. This book isn't something you show to friends. This is a product for sale. That makes ACX a music publisher.

If I had to guess, their legal team arranged the contracts so it's your problem now and not theirs.

ACX Publishes listings and promotions for reader/performers if nobody turns up here.

https://www.acx.com/help/narrators/200484550

Koz the Great and Powerful

kozikowski
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Sigh, now I have to perform?

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:33 am

I'm back now, written and self-published a new novel
Step one. Make it so I can buy it on Amazon. That's required for audiobook acceptance no matter who presents it.

koz