Trying To Get Things Right For ACX Submission

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Trying To Get Things Right For ACX Submission

Post by kozikowski » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:08 pm

Fluffs.

Note in the error correction, I did not stop the recorder. I left it running and just looked back in the script for a good break or pause point and started reading again. Because I didn't take a long time for the correction, I didn't forget what the vocal tone, rhythm, and volume was in the sentence.

This particular example was not a long chapter, so I didn't need the hand clap to find the mistake later during editing.

Also, I did not try to exactly match the precise word where I made the mistake. Reread the whole sentence. That's enormously easier to smoothly edit.

Koz

SecretCode
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by SecretCode » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:46 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:06 pm
Another way to insure even, graceful reading is to not stop. If you make a fluff, pause really briefly, read it again—correctly—and just keep going. Some performers clap loudly once so they can find the error later by looking at the lumps in the blue waves.
Yup, I do that :D

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:09 pm

The portion of this post that bothers me most is the odd or ticking sounds in the middle of words. That's really rough to get rid of in post production, can signify something wrong with the computer, and is usually impossible to predict.

We know it's not overload or clipping because the test post was low volume.

Home microphones or microphone systems almost always arrive low volume to avoid clipping distortion.

Koz