My hand made vocal booth and voice test

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: My hand made vocal booth and voice test

Post by kozikowski » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:46 pm

You need to equalize to correct for the resonance of the booth ...
If it has resonances. See: foil.

Koz

vs_voice
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by vs_voice » Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 pm

mikifan88 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:28 pm
Hey everyone

This is my first post on this forum, although I've been browsing it for years.

For several years I have been dealing with amateur podcast recording. Most of the time I recorded with the worst quality microphones. Friends praised my voice and persuaded me to become a professional voiceover. I quickly realized that it would be impossible to get a good recording without a studio. Searching the internet, I found information that a vocal booth can help a lot in recording. Having a limited budget, I decided to do it myself. As an example, I chose a vocal booth from Isovox. I used stone wool to make it.

I am writing because I would like to publicly show my project. I would also like to ask you to evaluate the quality of the recordings. I'm not sure if the sound I'm getting is good for me to think about producing recordings for podcasts, commercials, jingles and radio productions.

I am sending the test for your evaluation. And a short photo report.

I will be grateful for all suggestions!
Hello! I just got to the forum searching for a project like that. What a fantastic work! Could you provide the project measures and the quantity of the materials? I'd like to test it here. It seems to be a good solution for my acoustic problems. Thank you!

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed May 05, 2021 7:56 pm

I don't know that the dimensions are all that critical, and you can get an idea of the sizes from the microphone. The walls, ceiling and bottom have to meet. No holes or gaps. So construction accuracy is critical.

But that's not the way I did it.

I did it using common parts given you live near a Harbor Freight or other large hardware store. My Home Depot has 24-inch pipes pre-cut and that would have created a completed sound studio before lunch.

viewtopic.php?p=369938#p369938

It knocks down for storage, as I said, under the bed when you're not being a voiceover artist.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 pm

I do have a caution. I read from paper, but if you choose (As 100% of normal people do) to read from an electronic device, they can make noise.

IPhoneNoiseTest-Edited.mp3
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 4 times

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu May 06, 2021 2:18 am

I thought I had this picture.

HarborFreightBlanket.JPG
HarborFreightBlanket.JPG (188.74 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 am

an electronic device, they can make noise.
That's not electronic communication and the phone is not receiving or placing a call. That's the screen doing that.

Screens are wire meshes with data signals racing back and forth to turn each pin-point of light (pixel) on and off. Any electrical activity changing fast enough creates radiation.

And that post is what it sounds like. Yet another reason home voice artists never pass noise. Everything is stacked against you.

Koz