HELP! Same set up over two days, but different audio quality!

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
ss630
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: HELP! Same set up over two days, but different audio quality!

Post by ss630 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:46 am

Here's two tests! Test 1 is just speaking some lyrics. Test 2 is me actively choosing varied words and sentences for diversity.
Attachments
ACX Test 1.wav
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
ACX Test 2.wav
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 7 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:41 am

Badda Bing, Badda Boom, and out the door. I didn't use DeEsser because it has little or no effect.

MosquitoKiller4 > Mastering 4 > Noise Reduction of the beast (6,6,6).

Most tools' settings stick from application to application, so for example, you only have to set up Effect > Limiter values once. The second application is Effect > Limiter > OK.

Jury's out on Noise Reduction. I don't remember the rule on when you have to create a new Profile. The Room Tone at the beginning of your tests is perfect and Noise Reduction did exactly what it's supposed to do: reduce noise without affecting the voice quality.

ACX Test 1-Mastered.wav
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 6 times

Test1MasteredScreen Shot 2018-10-09 at 4.23.26.png
Test1MasteredScreen Shot 2018-10-09 at 4.23.26.png (39.49 KiB) Viewed 136 times

ACX Test 2-Mastered.wav
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 6 times

Test2MasteredScreen Shot 2018-10-09 at 4.19.33.png
Test2MasteredScreen Shot 2018-10-09 at 4.19.33.png (39.21 KiB) Viewed 136 times

Listen to those and if you like them, you can use those examples and settings for publication.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:49 am

OK, so that settles that. Noise Reduction forces you to get a fresh profile every clip or show. It stops working if you don't. It will not give you an OK button.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 am

Just because I haven't been a wet blanket for at least ten minutes, you can still fail ACX. Several posters got rejected because they didn't read ACX instructions and submitted the wrong number of seconds of Room Tone.

https://www.acx.com/help/acx-audio-subm ... /201456300

We're only doing the technical requirements, not theatrical or presentation.

Koz

ss630
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Post by ss630 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Thank you so much, Koz! Apologies for the delayed response, my crazy life got in the way. As for theatricality, I triple checked that I had the exact specifications on room tone. I submitted the audiobook and am waiting with fingers crossed to see if it is approved!

A few quick questions:

How would you suggest I proceed with my microphone volume naturally so loud? Other audiobooks I am working on definitely require a louder "yelling" voice at times, like during arguments. I know of course not to actually yell.

Also, it seems that once I get the hang of it, this mastering process should really not be taking much time at all. Editing wise, I of course edit out mistakes, make the pauses longer/shorter as necessary, and use the proper room tone and labeling for ACX specifications. I also go through every sentence and take out the breaths in between. Is this necessary or overkill? This is what takes up 90 percent of my time. Of course, no complaints if that's what is meant to be done.

Am I missing anything else I should be doing before exporting a finished product?

I am adding blankets to my closet/home studio and implementing all the suggestions left here. Thanks everyone for being so helpful!

-Sarah

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:16 am

How would you suggest I proceed with my microphone volume naturally so loud?
Darn good question. Make Audacity display the overload points by setting View > Show Clipping. And then just don't announce very loud.
Yelling
Figure out how to stress your voice without actually making it louder (this is called "acting.") Experiment. Normal microphones would just roll right over this because they're low volume in the first place. But yours isn't like that.

Being a legacy engineer, I'd have my eyes glued to the bouncing Audacity sound meter. If you get loud enough to make it go all the way up and turn red, that will be distorted. You get to read that part again.

There's a setup trick here. I like to edit with the timeline set to stick to one place until I intentionally move it. But during recording you might want the blue waves to constantly update instead of running off the right-hand edge and vanishing. And I don't remember where to set that.......
I also go through every sentence and take out the breaths in between.
That's an interesting question. Any way you can gasp quietly? I think I mentioned I don't know that ACX ever bounced anybody for natural human noises such as breathing. But between sentences........

The Business Koz says make them as unobtrusive as possible live and leave them in for one book. If you get bounced, you're no further behind than you were before and you could win the jackpot and not have to edit them at all.

This is assuming you're exporting all your Edit Masters as WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit archive sound files. You should NOT go back and patch the submitted MP3s. Correct the WAVs and make new MP3s.

Let us know how it goes.

Koz