Submitting to ACX?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Submitting to ACX?

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:36 am

For spoken word, I'm using either an AKG c414,...

I don't know if you've experienced this, but the home USB microphones, in addition to having "restrained volume," don't filter the DC/battery system. The most obvious problem this can cause is the "Yeti Curse" where USB data leaks into the sound.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/US ... neClip.mp3

But that's not the only problem. These microphones can also produce noise below 20Hz and some of it can be loud enough to keep you from passing ACX noise test "for some reason." The noise is below audibility, so you can have a performance with dreadful rumble/thunder/earthquake noise nobody can hear.
it's not a "booth," the room can be considered a "treated space"
That picture is the Main Conference Room which is fully sound treated including padded air conditioning ducts.

Most posters are trying to do this in the apartment with white walls and polished wood floors. It's difficult to get a good, clean reading with conditions like that.

ACX knows. They have (as far as I know still there) a video where they describe the walk-in sound booth you're going to build in your apartment.
Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 19.33.03.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 19.33.03.png (162.65 KiB) Viewed 174 times
http://www.acx.com/help/setup/202008260

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:00 am

It's "old school" but it gets me pretty good noise floors and minimal post-processing.
"New School" is a little rough to watch. There is a British VLOG where the performers shoot outside and a good fraction of the time the voices are inaudible from wind noise. They went to several months of shooting that way. Somebody must have noticed.

But if you want to read for Audiobooks, you still have to make past the ACX Robot, simulated by ACX Check. And then pass Human Quality Control to make sure you don't sound like a bad cellphone—or a bathroom.

Oddly, I don't remember anyone ever getting bounced for making "human" noises like breathing, but that's the first thing many new performers go for.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:11 pm

When I have my final edit, I simply tap 1 and accept my preferred default, 2 and accept, then 3 to make sure I'm good.
I entertained the idea of making AudioBook Mastering 4 into a macro (Chain). The correction values never change.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=96103

Koz

dvnobles
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dvnobles » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:45 am

As previously mentioned, break your chapters apart and check them. You have to break them apart anyway. Besides, unless the entire book is under 30 minutes or so, you can't check it all at once. Some of my chapters run near 35 minutes and when they're that long, you cannot check the entire section. (I don't know what the exact ACX check length limit is). But anyway, if you do run into the limit on any of your chapters, just pick sections of it and do the test. This is what I've done in the past and haven't run into any problems. The ACX check is a nice little tool to have.

//Dan

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:28 am

The ACX check is a nice little tool to have.
It saves a lot of shuffling test files back and forth to ACX. I have a posting here somewhere about how to perform ACX Check manually with the older, existing tools. It is possible but it's really painful.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/ACXT ... sting.html

I see there's an unimportant error in there I never went back to correct. All the tools work in Stereo now.

You should know that ACX Check needs a good half-second of silent Room Tone somewhere in the work to get the noise value. If you don't have that, it will pick the lowest volume background noise it can find and you could easily appear to fail noise in error.

Also please note that everything should be done in Mono. One blue wave. ACX recommends submitting that way and everything just works better in mono. The system runs faster, the tools can check twice as much work before running out of steam and storage goes twice as far.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:43 am

ACX test limit is about 37 minutes at 44100 sampling rate. Apparently it doesn't matter stereo or mono because it rips stereo apart and checks each side independently.

Koz