Brand new and hoping for feedback

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Brand new and hoping for feedback

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu May 24, 2018 7:55 pm

I have a couple of SM57's

That's a good start. SM57's reputation is doing a bangup job for drums, but it doesn't self-destruct if you speak into it.

Do you have the rest of it? The clip and the boom and stand?

Noise is a super big problem with home recording. If you have noise coming up from the floor through pump, air conditioning or traffic, you can get a shock mount.

That's one holding up an AKG microphone.

Those diagonal pieces are rubber bands. If you tap the microphone it will vibrate at you.

Here's another one. This one is a third party shock mount. You measure the microphone and shop until you find a mount that fits.

These also solve the problem of making desk noises during the performance.

Reading a book is a career move. You have to read the whole thing and have matching chapters. That's one reason acceptance at ACX is such a pain. Not only do you have to pass ACX technical conformance, but you also have to pass Human Quality Control after that.

There are ways of mounting the microphone without the stand and boom, but they're harder to use.

I use and like my On Stage Stands folding microphone stand and boom. That's it folded up. No 40 pound lead weight on the bottom.

That's a 9701B Heavy Duty stand.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Brand new and hoping for feedback

Permanent link to this post Posted by dvnobles » Fri May 25, 2018 4:44 am

That's a good start. SM57's reputation is doing a bangup job for drums, but it doesn't self-destruct if you speak into it.

I actually do have an SM58. I ordered the Behringer UM2 you suggested today.

Do you have the rest of it? The clip and the boom and stand?

I have the boom and stand, just not the shock mount for the SM58. I'll order it tomorrow (about $6) similar to what you show in your first pic. I have a nice shock mount for my Samson - I'll miss that.

Noise is a super big problem with home recording. If you have noise coming up from the floor through pump, air conditioning or traffic, you can get a shock mount.

Not a huge problem for me...I built a sound booth a while back. My biggest problem is the A/C is very close to my recording room. I turn it off while recording - which is going to be a huge problem come the summer (in Florida). I have plans of moving my sound booth, but that will have to wait.

Reading a book is a career move. You have to read the whole thing and have matching chapters. That's one reason acceptance at ACX is such a pain. Not only do you have to pass ACX technical conformance, but you also have to pass Human Quality Control after that.

Yep, that's not a problem for me. I have several books published and have never failed ACX. I'm just looking to improve my sound quality because I know it could be better. The move to a fairly good XLR mic with preamp should help. Once I finish my current book (within a few weeks), I'll get my new setup in place and post a raw sample here if you don't mind. I'll start a new topic. Thanks for the preamp and mic suggestions.

//Dan
dvnobles

Operating System: Windows 10

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production