Removing persistent noise

I have recorded a podcast which somehow has a persistent creaking noise, on-and-off but it recurs through the entire audio. The noise frequently occurs at the same time as talking so I can’t just remove the bits that contain it. I’ve tried to get rid of it with noise reduction and click remover but to no avail.

Is there a tool in audacity that could remove (or substantially reduce) something like this? If so, what is it?

I fully understand that I might just be out luck here but figured I’d ask. Thanks in advance for any help.

I fully understand that I might just be out luck here but figured I’d ask.

Always.

There is a fuzzy rule about noises. The current Noise Reduction tool works in two steps. Profile, where you let it sniff the noise to see what to attack, and then actually doing the reduction,. The noise can’t change between those two. So we’re OK with refrigerators, air conditioning, microphone hiss, computer vents and some digital noises, but if you have an “every so often” noise, this is not looking good.

Post a sample of the noises here on the forum. 10 seconds of stereo WAV (two blue waveforms) or 20 seconds of mono WAV (one blue wave). Scroll down from a forum text window > Upload attachment. Don’t cut it too short. We can’t analyze two seconds.

There are some digital noises so common we have custom built tools for them.

Koz

Did you try this De-Clicker plugin ? … Updated De-Clicker and new De-esser for speech

Post a sample of the noises here on the forum. 10 seconds of stereo WAV (two blue waveforms) or 20 seconds of mono WAV (one blue wave). Scroll down from a forum text window > Upload attachment. Don’t cut it too short. We can’t analyze two seconds.

Thanks. Does it matter if there’s talking at the same time as the noise, or would pure noise be better? I’m not sure I have more than two seconds of pure noise.