Sound quality is garbage

Hello I have a dell lattitude e7440 running windows 10 pro 64 bit.
I have been recording podcasts for over a year. Originally I recorded them on my old laptop running windows 7 Dell vostro 1500 64 bit.
ON my old laptop they sounded great. i was able to upload mp3 and make intros and podcast with no problem.
then i got a new pc which was a all in one hp touchscreen running windows 10 and they also sounded good. I have that computer at my office and the background noise and the acoustics were terrible. Also it is 30 minute commute to record a ten minute podcast at night when every one is gone.
Finally i got a sexy new laptop the lattitude and downloaded all the stuff lame mp3 encoder and redid my intros and outros and everything sounds muted and like i am in a can!! everyone is complaining that the dont sound good

i was able to get one good intro recording but after i impoort the mp3 and reexport it it sounds like poo again.

It looks like i have version 2.1.3 and i am using a blue yeti microphone and sony professional head phones, the sound through the headphones is awesome the playback is garbage
please help thank you

There’s missing pieces sprinkled around this post.

Originally I recorded them on my old laptop running windows 7 Dell vostro 1500 64 bit.

Using the built-in microphone? I know everybody always looks down on those, but they can work pritty well if you’re careful.

ON my old laptop they sounded great.

How are you listening? Built-in speakers? Headphones?

all in one hp touchscreen running windows 10 and they also sounded good. I have that computer at my office and the background noise and the acoustics were terrible.

The acoustics were terrible but the microphone system helped cancel much of the damage, making you sound OK? This one doesn’t have a keyboard, right? you type right on the screen, or you can add a floating keyboard if you want?

sony professional head phones

Sony MDR-7506? Blue band?

the sound through the headphones is awesome

Are they plugged into the Yeti or the computer? The Yeti, right? That’s recommended if you want to listen to yourself as you perform.

Which Latiude? Dell makes a whole line of them.

If somebody stopped me right this second and said to solve this, I’d say you weren’t recording the Yeti. You are recording the microphone in the Latitude which could be on the other side of the desk and picking up room echoes.

Do the scratch thing. Start a recording and gently scratch the Yeti and then the Latitude—you’ll need to find out where the Latitude microphone is.

Koz

When you say “the sound through the headphones is awesome the playback is garbage”, are the headphones plugged into the jack on the Yeti?

In any case the first thing that comes to mind is that you are recording from the built-in mic in the laptop and not from the Yeti. Check the dropdown next to the little microphone picture and make sure that the Yeti is indeed what is selected.

If that isn’t this issue, can you give us more detailed characterization of the issue beyond “sounds like poo”? Or post a sample?

excellent tip thanks you.
I have always had a yeti mice from day one. I have always changed the setting on audacity to record and play through the yeti mic (record and Play back)
the sonys head phones are mdr-v500 that is why i am confused. I am set up every time different play back.

Headphones are plugged into the yeti i have always used the yeti and these headphones and i always check the settings before recording.
i am a dj and this computer and recording thing is not new to me. i just cant get it right on this laptop. this laptop is the one i want to record with because i use it for skype and interviews. lattitude e7440 new windows pro 10

So recordings on a new Windows computer sound like you’re “in a can”.
#1. Suspect is “enhancements” in Windows recording devices, which need to be turned off, see …
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#_[b]sound_as_if_they_were_made_in_a_tunnel[/b].3F

It could also be Skype. Do you still get bad recordings if you cold restart the machine (Shift-Shutdown) and start it up with no other communications or conference apps?

Audacity is not recommended for recording Skype interviews. Some people do manage to make that work, but they’re celebrities. It doesn’t work for most people.

Koz

I havent done any skype recordings because i cant get the recording to sound good. when i do i will be recording with pamela and skype and importing an mp3 file to audacity for edit and adding the intro and outro

Suspect is “enhancements” in Windows recording devices, which need to be turned off

It’s worth a shot, but I don’t entirely agree. Those filters and tools are designed to “clean up” a voice.

They turn to garbage when somebody tries to record music. That just doesn’t work.

Koz

when i do i will be recording with pamela and skype and importing an mp3 file to audacity for edit and adding the intro and outro

Exactly correct, except we would recommend WAV instead of MP3 unless there’s a specific reason like shortage of storage.

Do try that list of voice filters and corrections. Force Windows to stop helping you.

Koz

here is the first test recording
mme and yeti selected all windows settings are turned off and enhancements turned off as recommend
testing microphone.aup (1.42 KB)

this is the same test except changing the setting to wasapi and playing with the gains and volume on audacity a little
testing 2.aup (1.42 KB)

this is windows direct setting played with the gains a little
testinfg 3.aup (1.41 KB)

Thanks for all the work, but an AUP isn’t a sound file. It’s an Audacity Project manager text file.

There’s a 2MB limit on stuff the forum will let you post. So post mono and if you’re in WAV, that will allow super high quality 20 seconds. You can use good quality mono MP3 (128 quality or higher) and just keep going until the size reaches 2MB.

Koz

I wrote a thing on posting a sound sample, but you may be beyond simple posting rules. Yetis can have background noise problems, so do include a second or two of hold-your-breath silence.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/TestClip/Record_A_Clip.html

Koz

is there a rule of thumb on recording settings like mme, wasapi, diresct etc!!

I did a couple of test recordings after restarting my system and it sounded alot better it may actually be good.
thank you for all your help so far

A word on restarting. If you start having serious problems, cold restart with Shift-Shutdown. It takes longer and Windows closes and resets more things. Regular restart is the quickie convenience that may give you a warm feeling, but doesn’t reset everything.

Koz