Podcast with Interview need suggestions on Hardware

Windows computer.

I run a website called The Electronic Garage, theelectronicgarage.com, and I thought it would be a good addition to my site if I started up a podcast. Well I own a g930 headset and a razer headset ( forget which model, the good one though ). I want to do a podcast where I interview people, and talk about the daily and weekly tech that is going on in the world at that moment. I found some software that allows me to use audacity with the 2 headsets, one plugged into my sound card and the second one is usb (g930). We are both in the same room doing the podcast, and sounds like we are stuck in a tunnel, there is an echo (maybe feedback) and other things like popping from time to time.

I really want to get some good equipment but with out the cost. I do not want to spend over 500.00 ( Can spend a little more if cables and such are added but for the main equipment not over 500.00 )

I have been doing some extensive research and for my budget, I was looking at
Mackie 8 channel pro fx mixer http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-PROFX8-8-Channel-Mixer/dp/B00352MHGA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426900350&sr=8-2&keywords=profx4
Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone

Here is what I need…
I am looking for 2 good mics so I can do a interview for my podcast, not sure what mics to use, plus I am going to need cables of some sort. I am new to this so I am unsure what works with Audacity. Plus I wanted to know if the mixer above works with Audacity.

Any help is appreciated.

Kaine260

Delightful mixer, but it will only do four microphones (attach). The “eight channel” thing counts all the other stereo and mono inputs such as connecting a tape machine, cassette player, or musical instrument.

You can’t use the headsets for interviews. Nobody will sit still for you fiddling with their hair. You are going to disinfect them between guests, right? Ewww.

You need to get verbal about the studio. Sit-down table? Interview in the parking lot? NPR does very well with a hand-held directional mic.

They’re using a field recorder with that, not a computer, but you can use that combination anywhere.

The room kills most podcasts. If you have a modern house or apartment with bare floors, walls and ceilings, you can just shoot yourself now. The grownups consider those rooms aggressively hostile recording environments.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/EchoSample.mp3

Just because you missed the obvious, you’re not planning on using Skype, are you?

Koz
Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 21.18.27.png

The Mackie appears to be a stereo mixer with USB connection. If Windows can find it, Audacity should be able to find it. It looks like it can do the overdubbing mix trick, too, so if you have a hankerin’ to sing all four Mills Brothers by yourself, you’re all set.

The 7506 headphones are found on every movie set in Hollywood, so that’s pretty safe. The sound is a little harsh for my ears, but I’m in the clear minority there.

Any XLR type of cable is going to work.

So it comes down to microphones and that comes down to your “studio.”

Koz

Which mics should I get to stay in budget? I am looking to get something that is going to sound okay, and later I can upgrade them if I want to. Just want to make sure I stay in budget.

If you have a noisy room with bare floors, there are no microphones that work.

Do you know anybody who runs a voice podcast? Can you see how they did it? I’d love to give you manufacturers and part numbers, but I can’t do that without knowing what the room is like.

Koz