Need help with JVC M-510 microphone

Audacity Podcaster Forum.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Need help with JVC M-510 microphone

Post by kozikowski » Sun May 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Is there a another gain to XLR than to mono Jack?
Yes, but maybe not what you think. The little mono jack is subject to picking up interference and noise and is usually limited to no more than three feet in length. Once you get the phantom power XLR thing going, you can run that a hundred feet.

That trip from a screaming rock band microphones to the audience mixer can be 125 feet. No computer sound card is going to do that.

If you have an electrically quiet studio with well behaved wall power, and a good computer, you can do what you want. But there's a reason once you get beyond a certain complexity (and cost), all the pro systems use XLR.

Many home style interfaces aren't really using XLR. A full XLR system sends the voice on pin two and an upside-down protection signal on pin 3. Look closely at the end of the plug with a flashlight. They're labeled. A real XLR system uses both signals. Pin 1 is the braided wire shield.

An affordable adapter only uses the signal on pin 2 and dumps the pin 3 signal in the trash. No, that's not a good idea, but it's cheap and inexpensive and can work as long as everything else in your system is working perfectly. It doesn't have automatic noise reduction any more, so the heavy rubber XLR cable may look cool, but you may be limited to the three feet of a mono jack cable.

Koz

DVDdoug
Forum Crew
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by DVDdoug » Sun May 09, 2021 7:28 pm

Is there a another gain to XLR than to mono Jack?
Not "mono", "unbalanced". ;) A single mic is mono (unless it's a rare stereo mic that picks-up directional left & right sounds separately). A TRS connection has two signal lines (plus a ground) that can either be balanced mono or un-balanced stereo (i.e. a headphone connection or soundcard output).

The main benefit to a balanced connection is that any electrical hum/noise pick-up is in-phase in both signal lines so it gets canceled with a balanced input (aka "differential" input). Stage/studio mics are balanced. Computer mics are unbalanced. Guitars are more prone to hum & buzz than mics because they are high impedance and because they are unbalanced.

Depending on how things are wired (on either end) you could loose 6dB with the unbalanced connection if you loose the signal form one of the (previously) balanced connections. Normally, the ground is floating on the microphone-end so you don't loose anything by ground one if the signals, but it also depends on what's happening on the preamp-end. Some interfaces & preamps that use a "Neutrik" combo connector automatically switch to higher impedance and lower gain when you plug-in a TS "("guitar") plug. Or maybe it just "throws away" half of the signal (-6dB).

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sun May 09, 2021 8:16 pm

Please note this magic complexity only happens when you're trying to stand in both worlds at once. Home performers generally only use USB or the mono jack and studios only use XLR. In either case, plug everything together, record the show, and go home.

When you cross them..... You get what you have.

A similar magic happens when a home user tries to go from a single microphone to two or more. A studio will just plug a second microphone into their system. A home user......doesn't.

Just last week a home podcaster tried to add a second microphone for a guest and posted the problems on the forum. They may still be trying.

Koz

Lazarov
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Lazarov » Sun May 09, 2021 9:12 pm

Well I tested with my JVC M510 on a Yamaha AG06. Used same line (1) with XLR to XLR 50cm. And I tested with the 5m XLR to "mono" Jack (original cable i think) and i got a diff in the sound gain out from the mixer. ~20db + on XLR cable. There was nothing else that differenced like noise etc. And I had no Phantompower on, only the 1.5V AA battery i both cases.
If I look for a XLR to jack online its almost a 3 pin jack (named balanced) in the store. The unbalanced jack cables seems to be for guitars mainly... What is the mani difference with unbalanced (2pin) and balanced (3 pin) if i uses it on a XLR (mono) microphone? Abot OT i know ;)

I can bring back the discussion to topic though:
Found this on an ad in a magazine from 1983.
M-510 Electret Condenser Microphone Superdirectional undirectional pattern. Frequency range 40-20,000 Hz; sensitivity -68 dB super, 71 dB uni: S/N ratio > 50 dB; 13 -dB gain loss inpassive mode $190
And the text from the catalogue from JVC

Nothing about Phantompower anyware.
Attachments
ad.JPG
Text
ad.JPG (86.51 KiB) Viewed 104 times
ad2.jpg
Diagram.
ad2.jpg (355.36 KiB) Viewed 104 times