Need help with JVC M-510 microphone

Audacity Podcaster Forum.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
mic37
Operating System: Windows 10

Need help with JVC M-510 microphone

Post by mic37 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:35 pm

:?: Please help with JVC M-510 microphone information
Recently I've got the JVC M-510 Electret Condenser Super-directional Microphone and not able to find its instructional manual. It was manufactured in 80s. Contacted JVC without success.
It powered by one 1.5V AA battery. I cannot find any information if it can take the phantom power and if "yes", what is the phantom power voltage. I do not want to try it because I am afraid to fry the mic. If you have an original manual, would you please attach the picture of the page containing this information. Thank in advance.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Need help with JVC M-510 microphone

Post by steve » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:38 pm

mic37 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:35 pm
It powered by one 1.5V AA battery. I cannot find any information if it can take the phantom power and if "yes", what is the phantom power voltage.
If it takes a battery, then it almost certainly should NOT have phantom power.
(I have a couple of similar mics that are powered by a single AA battery. They do not use phantom power and should not be given phantom power.)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Post by DVDdoug » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:00 pm

JVC M-510
I found a picture online and it shows an XLR. Do you have an audio interface (or mixer or preamp) with an XLR input?

Stage/studio mics (balanced 3-wire connection) are not interchangeable with computer mics (unbalanced 2-wire). If you're trying to plug it into a regular soundcard or laptop it might "work" but you'll need the "right" adapter & connector and the quality may not be acceptable.

If you are using a laptop, does it have separate mic & headphone jacks or a combo-jack?

Phantom power (for "studio condenser" mics) is 48V. It's not supposed to hurt a properly wired stage/studio mic that doesn't require phantom power, but of course it's good-practice to turn-off phantom power when you don't need it.

Electret condenser "computer mics" get 5V (not phantom) from the soundcard or laptop.

mic37

Post by mic37 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 pm

Yes, I forgot to mention that this is XLR mic.

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Post by DVDdoug » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:21 pm

Yes, I forgot to mention that this is XLR mic.
The best solution is an audio interface with a mic input or a "little" mixer with a USB interface.

Another option is a "studio style" USB mic (AKA "podcast mic").

mic37

Post by mic37 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:45 pm

This JVC M-510 will be used with Tascam DR-40 recorder that has an ability of phantom power.
It would be nice to hear from people who have (had) this microphone.
Also: A someone on internet said that phantom power gives more signal gain compare to a battery (48V vs 1.5V). I am not sure if that is true.

Lazarov

Post by Lazarov » Sun May 09, 2021 5:19 pm

I use XLR to XLR cable to my mixer and it makes no difference if I feed 48v phantom power or not. And the microphone does not work if there is not a 1.5V AA battery in it even though I have phantompower turned on.
So it does not support phantom power.

One funny thing is that there is a secret -10 db switch in it. Unscrew the top of the microphone (only regular microphone not the directional microphone) Inside you will see a square stick that is + to the microphone capsule that you just unscrewed. You can turn it ¼ turns but a pair of tweezers and choose whether it should be 0 or -10db.

BTW. Does anyone know the specs JVC M-510? There is a clear difference between the normal microphone and the directional microphone. The directional microphone sounds more like you are in a can. And there is a clear difference between V and M on both microphone heads. M is deeper and more rich but there are more hum.
Attachments
0db.JPG
0db
0db.JPG (60.35 KiB) Viewed 161 times
-10db.JPG
-10db
-10db.JPG (58.19 KiB) Viewed 161 times

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Post by DVDdoug » Sun May 09, 2021 6:11 pm

Also: A someone on internet said that phantom power gives more signal gain compare to a battery (48V vs 1.5V). I am not sure if that is true.
Not true.* Some microphones are more sensitive than others but they typically put-out a few millivolts (also depending on the loudness of the sound). Condenser mics have a built-in "head amp" and they are typically 10 or 20dB "hotter" than dynamic or ribbon mics (which don't need power).

There was a time when phantom power was only available in pro studios so "stage" condenser mics were battery powered. Now most mixers (and audio interfaces) have phantom power. Very few (if any) modern mics are battery powered

1.5V is a clue that it's an electret condenser like a regular "computer mic" that runs from 5V supplied by the soundcard... Computer mics are wired differently so it's not phantom power. That doesn't make it "bad" but it's not a "true" studio condenser mic. There are electret mics that run from 48V phantom power, and there are some "true condenser" USB mics (5V) which presumably have a built-in voltage-booster circuit.

What's the difference between an electret condenser and a "true condenser" microphone?

* There are some cheap electret condenser mics that look like studio mics and they are supposed to work with 5V soundcard power or 48V phantom power and they supposedly work "better" with phantom power.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sun May 09, 2021 6:19 pm

https://www.manuals-in-pdf.com/download ... 32772.html

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.48.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.48.07 AM.png (219.38 KiB) Viewed 156 times

I think it takes that long because someone has to go into the dusty, back file cabinets and copy it.

No, I don't think different voltages will affect volume, either. The only problem could be microphone damage. I had a body microphone I used with the 1.5 volt batteries for years before I found it would be perfectly happy with the 48 Volt phantom power I also had available. I think it was a switch somewhere in the microphone. When all else fails, read the instructions.

A condenser microphone works by making your voice vibrate tiny, delicate metal films close to each other (but not touching). That will produce a very nice, accurate, clear voice signal that won't travel anywhere. To force your voice down a cable, they have to provide a current booster and that's what the little transistor is doing. It's not making the voice louder. It's just increasing the horsepower and jamming the voice signal down the cable. Work horses don't move all that fast, but watch one turn over your car.

It's called Phantom Power because your voice is going down the cable at the same time the 48 volts is coming up. Same cable, but it is almost always restricted to XLR cables. Phantom Power needs the three wires.

The power to run the little transistor has to come from somewhere. So that's the 1.5v battery (3.0 volts in my case), 5.0 volts from a computer sound card, or 48 volts from a mixer or sound interface.

Where on earth did 48 volts come from? That was the minimum needed to run a vacuum tube in 1939.

hitlermicrophone540.jpg
hitlermicrophone540.jpg (71.14 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Koz

Lazarov

Post by Lazarov » Sun May 09, 2021 6:24 pm

Is there a another gain to XLR than to mono Jack?
If i uses XLR - XLR cable to a 1.5V electric condenser mic i get ~10-20db gain versus XLR to mono Jack.
Is it an mono vs balanced, or XLR vs Jack that causes that?