Removing echo from double ender recording

Audacity Podcaster Forum.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
sergeis
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Removing echo from double ender recording

Post by sergeis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:29 pm

I recorded an interview using iris.fm. I have two wave files for speaker 1 and speaker 2. Unfortunately speaker 2 was recording without headphones and forgot to turn on echo cancellation so their microphone recorded speaker 1's voice coming out of their computer speakers with a slight delay. It's about 30 minutes of audio so I can go delete speaker 1's voice manually, but I was wondering if there's any effects/processing tools in audacity that I could use to automate this. I was thinking I could inverse speaker's 2 track and subtract it, but I'm not quite sure how to do it and whether it would have the desired effect. Thanks for the help!

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Removing echo from double ender recording

Post by Trebor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:29 pm

sergeis wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:29 pm
... I can go delete speaker 1's voice manually, but I was wondering if there's any effects/processing tools in audacity that I could use to automate this. I was thinking I could inverse speaker ...
The invert trick isn't going to work: the echo is not exactly the same as the original, so they won't cancel out.

Maybe AutoDucking could automate the deletion process.