My mic moved mid podcast - fix available?

Hey forum members!

I recorded a podcast interview and midway through the interview I only just remembered to clip on my mic so there is a noticeable difference halfway through - I have no idea if I can make the first half sound the same as the last half?

I looked at spectrum analysis to try somehow apply one to the other, and some effects that I had no idea what all the options meant.

Has anyone managed to process a section to make it sound similar before?

Thanks!
BEN

near mic spectrum.txt (5.93 KB)

far away spectrum.txt (5.94 KB)

In a word: No.

It’s possible to make the “far” spectrum match the “near” spectrum …

But they are still clearly different because they have different amounts of reverberation.
( There are de-reverb plugin$, but they are no use with strong reverberation, which is the case here )

I recorded a podcast interview

How? We’re always on the lookout for home techniques to record remote interviews. Most don’t work.

I only just remembered to clip on my mic

Now you know why producers wear headphones and listen to the show while it’s being recorded.

Koz

Thanks for the attempt and advice Trebor! I had a hunch it may not be recoverable :unamused:

Yes I’m a home podcaster with StreamYard and Descript - so don’t employ a producer unfortunately.

But most podcasters I speak with are working remotely due to the pandemic and still putting out their shows, I need to ask them their secret sauce !

Most podcasters are in the same situation.
Being the producer + sound engineer + voice talent, all at the same time, is difficult, but not impossible. It can also be personally rewarding when everything goes to plan and you get a good podcast - you can say with pride: “I did that” :slight_smile:

A large part of the “special sauce” is “attention to detail”.

One “trick” passed onto me by an old friend, was to always sit in the same chair at the same table, with the legs positioned on electrical tape "X"s stuck on the floor. On the table he had a piece of wooden dowel, cut to the optimal length for distance between his mic and his mouth. When beginning a recording, he would sit on the chair, check that the chair legs were on the "X"s, then position the mic using the wooden dowel to measure the distance, set the recording levels, and then start.

I think that many podcasters develop their own little rituals for setting up.

Me and my friends are currently recording remotely too.
Here’s what we do:

Location 1:
Mixer plugged into the PC and audacity opened, Microsoft Teams used to have the conversation.

Location 2:
Mic plugged directly into PC (I have a XLR mic with a USB option), audacity opened, Microsoft Teams on the same call.

At location 2, I put my headphones on the mic, my friend at Location 1 makes 3 consevutive claps right infront of the mic.

After we finish, I get both of the audacity recordings, find the claps on both, zoom in a lot and then adjust the recordings so the claps are the same.
This has been working for us for the past few episodes of our recording.

Hope it helps

Good advice, but it doesn’t seem very relevant to the original post :confused: