Looking for advice on my recording quality, Behringer mixer and mic

Hello!

I have a new recording setup and following the advice given to me here:
https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107669&start=10#p381248

I still feel like there is a discernable hum sound after doing the noise removal, etc. I’m wondering if anyone can give other advice on how, or if I should remove it.

This is clean, unprocessed work.

Thanks!

You may have an odd-duck problem.

I couldn’t find any hum or other obvious damage in the file.

I ran the file through Audiobook Mastering and it passes ACX Check technical submission standards.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 0.26.03.png
Boop. Just like that. To be obsessive, I applied gentle Noise Reduction of the beast (6, 6, 6) and got a smooth voice over good quality silence.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 0.26.57.png
If that’s not what you got, I’m calling out your speaker or monitor system. Do you hear hum on a different computer or music player?

“Diving for Noise” doesn’t count. Don’t run the speaker system volume all the way up and then get upset if you find noise. Everybody finds noise if they do that.

Set the speakers or headphones for normal voice volume and then let it play over the silent areas for inspection without touching anything.

Koz

There are two very faint constant tones on the spectrogram ~2.3kHz, they could be the hum …

faint constant tones removed with Nyquist code.gif
If you apply this code in Audacity’s Nyquist prompt, then apply it like any other effect, it will remove them …

(setf *track* (notch2 *track* 2477  25))
(setf *track* (notch2 *track* 2139 25))
(highpass8 *track*  60)

If that code does not remove the hum you hear, your playback device could be the source.

BTW it sounds good, but here is such a thing as too much bass.
Being close to the mic can cause that, a/k/a “proximity effect”.
To cut the bass you can either back away from the mic, or use equalization to cut the bass.
Audacity’s bass&treble effect will allow you to adjust bass (cut) & treble (boost) in real-time.

Thank you both for taking so much time to help me on this. I really appreciate it. I will play around with things and see what I can do.

There are production rules not obvious when you’re starting out. The live performance should be as perfect as you can make it so you don’t have to apply a ton of effects, filters and corrections later. If you can suppress the “Announcer Voice” proximity effect by backing away slightly, you should absolutely do that. The goal is record something, do the minimum work to it, and ship it.

I have a very quiet, echo-free, well behaved bedroom. I set up a small, stand-alone sound recorder, announced a sound test, cut out the mistakes and fluffs, applied simple Audiobook Mastering, and went to make coffee.

That’s it. No filtering proximity effect, layered noise reduction, gates, sibilant filters, presence boosting or any other gymnastics.

Koz

Yep, I backed off from the mic. Sounds much better.

So, previously you had recommended that I use a de-esser. Would that fall under the sibilant filter category? Would fixing my ess problem live mean using different equipment?

I’m wondering what you mean by layered noise reduction. Would that involve doing multiple noise reductions with different noise profiles?

I am trying to make my recording setup as good as possible. I’m in a large closet full of soft things. I’m now thinking that because it is a small space that perhaps the extraneous sound I’m hearing is coming from my laptop.

Sorry for the delay in responding. For some reason I’m not getting email notifications now.

Thanks!!