Recording Two Mics to PC

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can offer me some advice to end my recent torment!

I’m starting a Podcast with a colleague - not aiming to be the next Joe Rogan, I own a business with a lot of customers / members and we’ll be putting out technical advice etc for them in a podcast style format with a bit of information of the company’s story.

The podcast will be myself and a colleague each with separate microphones. We’ve managed to get hold of a Canon EOS 700D DSLR camera from a friend, whilst it’s not the highest spec camera we’re hoping it’ll do the job as it was free! I’ve read a lot of blogs, guides etc but can’t quite figure out how to record the audio in the easiest to edit format.

Everything I’ve read is that we need to record each microphone separately in order to edit levels etc. I watched a few tutorials showing that all we needed was a splitter cable to plug into my laptop and then plug each microphone into that and the laptop will record mic 1 as left and mic 2 as right in stereo sound. It doesn’t seem to be working like that.

Does anyone have any help or suggestions on how to solve this? We have the Canon EOS 700D DSLR Camera, two XLR Microphones with shock mount and pop filter, dedicated high spec laptop to record the audio and I have Audacity downloaded. I also already have an Adobe subscription for Premiere Pro when making the video as I do a lot of Photoshop work so had that already running.

Thanks in advance!

XLR Microphones

Which XLR microphones?

It doesn’t seem to be working like that.

No. Laptops in general are designed for headsets—left and right headphones and one single microphone. Or not depending on your laptop.

A lot of this advice depends on the microphone answer.

Canon EOS 700D DSLR Camera

Don’t shoot into the light. Don’t put windows or lights behind the performer.

Eyes at a third. Put your eyes about one third down from the top unless you’re trying for special effects.

Don’t talk facing off camera. Talk to each other or the camera.

What are you going to use as your studio? It’s not unusual for video and audio not to work in the same room.

Does the camera have a microphone or did you get a tiny microphone with it? I don’t see a little foam thing sticking out of the top.

Koz

I own a business with a lot of customers / members and we’ll be putting out technical advice etc for them in a podcast style format with a bit of information of the company’s story.

I would so totally start with the single microphone on the camera and get your feet wet with that first. After you shake that down, then you add split sound and multi-track performances. For one completely evil example, there’s no guarantee your laptop sound duration is going to match the video.

“How come our lips and voice match at the beginning, but not the end?”

I wish I was making that up.

The fancy-pants system should be solving problems you had with the simple microphone. Be able to produce working shows without the high tech enhancements.

A word on editing. Post production editing, as a fuzzy rule, takes five times the length of the show. That’s an average and after you get rolling. If you’re a New User, it can go much longer…

Editing is good. Nobody is interested in watching you make mistakes on camera—or correcting them.

Koz