How to undo echo after its been applied

I was editing my podcast. I applied the ‘echo’ feature because I was trying to take out the background noise. I did not save the original, but saved it and closed before listening to the whole thing. I already tried to compress it. So now I need to counteract the echo because it is no longer in my history. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Echo & reverb , (be they real or artificial) are generally impossible to remove.
If the echos are quieter than the rest of the audio, can make them quieter still with an expander / gate …

But that does not effect the echo/reverb which occurs during speech, just squelches the noise between words & phrases.

that does not effect the echo/reverb which occurs during speech

Those tools can give you echoy or vibrating words over a velvety quiet background.

It’s safe to assume most of the Audacity effects and filters are one-way. If you haven’t closed the project yet, you can Edit > UNDO. If you closed the project, it’s the end of the world.

This is where it’s important to export a copy of your performance as WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit before you do anything to it as a protection backup. New Users sometimes shoot a performance and then apply effects and corrections to that one single Project. If anything goes wrong, the show goes permanently into the dirt. You go all the way back to shoot it again.

Koz

Thank you is there a service that will look at my recording and try to fix it? :smiley:

I don’t know of a service, but someone else may post.

Koz

If someone claims to be able to remove echo/reverb for money,
insist on getting a sample of your processed audio before you part with cash.

If money is no object, this is the best de-reverb that can be achieved …

and it’s not a total cure.

@Trebor thanks for that

Thanks for what?