How can I emulate a mic on a large stage?

Audacity Podcaster Forum.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: How can I emulate a mic on a large stage?

Post by kozikowski » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:43 pm

Ah. Got it.
me and a friend had the idea of starting a podcast.
I'm doing an audiobook
Behold the problem of hosting two different questions in the same message thread.

Koz

kozikowski
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:00 pm

I am introduced to the New and Improved Audible which is apparently producing audiobooks with full orchestration, cast, environments, and sound effects. As the reviewer put it, "It's like experiencing a 20-hour movie."

I wonder if they're still accepting the older format.

So much for cranking out an audiobook by the end of the week. Full radio production in addition to recording your voice without the refrigerator noise, Zoom interference, and the dog next door.

Koz

LadyThorne
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Post by LadyThorne » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:53 pm

Ok, sorry for the delay, I only just saw this cause I didn't get an email notice outside of the forum.

Is this my first book? No. I have 6 published. Is it my first audio? Yes.
As for ACX, I had never heard of it. I was planning for Audible.
I will, however, be happy to run it by the system if it checks for quality control.
I began with a clean, in home performance. I have a foam back screen behind me, one behind the Audio-technica 2035 mike on a boom with pop screen, and scarlet solo. I have AC off and all other factors managed as best I can. I've been taking the individual voices to a separate track for each character and lining them up with the narration, that way if I do a pitch change for a deep male voice, I can whole cloth the entire track without affecting the rest of the story.

As for adding "modest background noises and voices in addition to a very short echo", thanks, that was something I didn't think of. (though I have two 'pubs' one very much what you are suggesting, small bandstage in a traditional Irish pub, and one that's more a club with a karaoke/live performance stage, a dance floor and tables with a long bar area on the side.

"Is the narrator of the book the person speaking from the pub stage? If there are two people that snaps you back to radio theater rather than audiobook format." This I do not understand. The MC is one of the people on stage, another character at another time (love interest), but the MC is not the narrator, if that is what you mean. Most of the stage stuff of the MC is poetry readings, and the only song done that I actually provide the lyrics for (the character is a bard and the song has meaning in context of the over all story) is only a single voice right now, maybe with a guitar if I can get my friend to play it for me.

To the "asking two different questions?" This thread answered my question so completely that I forgot I wasn't the original poster, lol. (I have mild memory issues)
I am attaching a apox. 10 second clip from my book instead of the test clip requested, but only because setting up my recording space is a bit time consuming for only a 10 second bit. (I have to pull out my screens, shut off the AC, get everyone quiet, etc. I usually record late at night) I hope that's ok. This has only my voice as the narrator, no dialogue or background sfx
Attachments
sample.wav
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 5 times