Recording acoustic guitar Bass/treble vs high/low pass filte

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
cghbuilder86
Operating System: Windows 10

Recording acoustic guitar Bass/treble vs high/low pass filte

Post by cghbuilder86 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi, I am recording solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar and have a few questions. Real quick here is my setup. Zoom Q8n video recorder, Rode Nt4 microphone. Audacity audio editing.
The main problem is the raw material is too boomy and muddy. I would like to improve the clarity while keeping it clean and removing some strong bass and midrange "howling". I have found that I can improve it by backing off on the bass and adding in some treble. But my question is using the high and low pass filters seem to do a lot the same thing. What is the difference in lower the bass and adding the high pass filter? Should I use the filters with a minimal amout of cut? Or just use the bass and treble bars?
Also, Compression is very confusing to me should the basic default 2 and 12 setup be ok for solo guitar, Would some of you guitarists recommend more or less compression?
Any info would be appreciated.

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Recording acoustic guitar Bass/treble vs high/low pass f

Post by Trebor » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:39 am

cghbuilder86 wrote:... I would like to improve the clarity while keeping it clean and removing some strong bass and midrange "howling"...
Experiment with a real-time equalizer plugin, e.g. ...

http://www.voxengo.com/product/marvelgeq/ (fully functional freebie & no strings attached)

cghbuilder86

Post by cghbuilder86 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:49 am

thanks for the link!

cghbuilder86

Post by cghbuilder86 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:14 pm

I can't get this plugin to work. I downloaded it and in install setup I put the file in the program files of audacity/plugins. Then in audacity under add/remove plugins I found it an hit enable but I can't pull it up anywhere. What am I missing?