Best way to apply reverb to 4 part harmony

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Midiman1962
Operating System: Windows 10

Best way to apply reverb to 4 part harmony

Post by Midiman1962 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am

Just completed all the tracks for a song including multi layered vocals.
At some point I want to apply fx mainly reverb.
There are 4 part harmonies on the chorus so I am thinking of creating a seperate mix of this (pan and level) then exporting this to its own audio snapshot .
Stage two is to import it and apply reverb using the copy track method and apply reverb to the copy.
Does anyone have a more efficient way of doing this?

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Best way to apply reverb to 4 part harmony

Post by steve » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:21 pm

I would probably use a similar approach, but if there's not a huge number of tracks I'd keep it all in one project:

1) Make a "sub-mix" of the harmony tracks by selecting those tracks (after setting pan and gain) and apply "Tracks menu > Mix and render to new track".
This retains the original tracks, which I would then mute and minimize (mute button, then click on the ^ at the bottom of the track info panel to collapse the track to minimum height). The new, mixed, "harmony" track is at the bottom of the project, which I would then name appropriately.

2) Make a duplicate of the mixed "harmony" track.

3) Apply reverb (wet only) to the duplicate track and name it something like "h-reverb".

4) Check how it sounds and save a new backup with a unique name ("my-project-018")
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Midiman1962

Post by Midiman1962 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:51 pm

steve wrote:I would probably use a similar approach, but if there's not a huge number of tracks I'd keep it all in one project:

1) Make a "sub-mix" of the harmony tracks by selecting those tracks (after setting pan and gain) and apply "Tracks menu > Mix and render to new track".
This retains the original tracks, which I would then mute and minimize (mute button, then click on the ^ at the bottom of the track info panel to collapse the track to minimum height). The new, mixed, "harmony" track is at the bottom of the project, which I would then name appropriately.

2) Make a duplicate of the mixed "harmony" track.

3) Apply reverb (wet only) to the duplicate track and name it something like "h-reverb".

4) Check how it sounds and save a new backup with a unique name ("my-project-018")
Thanks Steve , glad to know I'm on the right track ( no pun intended!)

Midiman1962

Post by Midiman1962 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Here's the finished article - all recorded/sung/played/mixed by me using Audacity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZsyeMLI3Rw&sns=fb

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:32 pm

That turned out aright didn't it :)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Black Dog Bluez
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Black Dog Bluez » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 pm

Agreed --- cool song -- enjoyed. Is a DL available? - As opposed to Peggo.co/Youtube's low quality. ---A video is usually lossy and low bitrate audio - then Youtube recodes/converts/degrades it further, or what ever they do in their undisclosed manner, or undisclosed last time I checked.