Can my music file be irreversably write protected?

Not sure if “write protection” is the right term but what I’m trying to figure is if there is a way to keep someone I share a song with that is mine from going in and reediting the artist, title, etc. info and worst case scenario stealing them! Putting their name to them. Because I have all my online stuff available as free downloads. So far all restrictions/denying permissions, read only, etc. I’ve tried have been voided once on another computer or with the case of read only can easily be undone. I did a brief online search but only found articles on how to unlock write protections… just curious, if anyone knows about this. I am PC with windows 7. I will not stop my hobby regardless.

The short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: If a recording can be played, it can be copied. What happens if you have a tape recorder (remember those? :wink:) and you set it recording while there is music playing in the room?

There’s a very common forum request: “I’m having trouble recording YouTube music. What’s the secret?”

So even if you have a dedicated player that won’t let you save the work, it’s still possible to get a copy. I think Real Player used to work like this.

Even the locked-down iTunes universe can be worked around because Apple lets you make an Audio CD of a playlist. iTunes will then import an Audio CD with no copy protection and no analog degradation.

A friend of mine who live performs very well once said, “It’s too bad you have to starve to do this.” He’s an attorney.

Live appearances are the answer. Venue Security will break your ankles if you try to sneak into a live show. If you’re loud enough, personal recorders don’t work.

“My recording at the concert came out crunchy and distorted. Is there any way to fix it?”

No.

Koz

I guess I wasn’t articulate enough but I was referring to music I share, my music… that I allow free downloads of…as I do. That once on another computer how to keep someone from re-writing the title, artist etc. info. How to lock that in. Like if I emailed you a song I did, with the metadata as my artist name and my song title and once you receive this, say mp3, the artist, title, etc. I’ve already wrote to it is unchangeable (impossible to change)–is that possible to make it unchangeable–of course all this aside from someone outright rerecording it–I understand that would be impossible to stop. [why do I suddenly feel like Lars Ulrich], thanks guys.

Not that I know of. Anything you do out of the ordinary to sound file data is likely to prevent them from playing.
Koz

Can you save music in PDF? You can get an Adobe PDF license and create fully locked-down documents. You need (free) PDF Reader to open the documents and they won’t let you mess with ones that have been locked. I have no idea if they do media.

Koz

I think I found my answer here: http://superuser.com/questions/753418/how-to-lock-protect-tags-of-mp3-files-from-being-edited

And to the short (yes Koz) no, can’t do it, if they’re right their (in the article) that is. It’s incredible to think how big the internet is and how anyone can download someone’s music, if available, and a lot is available, ilegal or not (approved or unapproved), and then put their name to it, and maybe change the title and then redistribute it under their name. Of course you couldn’t get far doing that to say, The Beatles, I guess, but I’m sure someone could definitely do it with obscure unknown artists and never even be found out!

On the other hand - people tend to be lazy, and people wanting something for nothing tend to be particularly lazy. In most cases, people won’t even bother removing the metadata (ID3 tags) when making pirate copies. If you provide free downloads of your music, you can be sure that they get reasonably good copies with your name and song details included.

One way of looking at this is that if millions of people download your song for free, then although you make no $'s directly from that, you become famous. Then the big boys in the music industry will want to buy your soul, and protecting your IP rights becomes their job (and they can afford the lawyers to do it).

Also see: Live Venue Security.
Koz