Which plugin to use...

Hey Guys. :smiley:

Me again. :blush:

I listen a music to sleep using a (very) limited portable mini system.
Sometimes the music i use to sleep get too low. Below -42db. (Then i hear outside noise) I need a plugin to increase from -42db or less to -21db.

Many thanks!

Amplify by 19dB … Amplify - Audacity Manual

Hey!
Got a lot of peak and distortions. As before on my tests.

I think i need change this my portable mini player for a better one to get a clear and better background noise.

Many Thanks! :smiley:

I listen a music to sleep using a (very) limited portable mini system.
Sometimes the music i use to sleep get too low. Below -42db. (Then i hear outside noise) I need a plugin to increase from -42db or less to -21db.

That’s confusing…

How are you measuring -42dB that? Is that a digital level or an acoustic level? Is that a peak or average level?

The “digital maximum” is 0dBFS and most digital music (CDs & Mp3s, etc.) have peaks at or near 0dB with an average (or RMS or LUFS loudness) of around -20dB.

If you use the Amplify effect, Audacity has already pre-scanned your file and it will default to whatever gain (or attenuation) is needed for normalized/maximized 0dB peaks. That’s as loud as you can go without (potential) digital clipping[u][/u] (distortion). (WAV files are hard-limited to 0dB and your digital-to-analog converter is also limited to 0dB.)

-42dBFS (digital) is unusually low (for a peak or average dB level). Quiet parts can be -42dB or less and total digital silence between tracks on a CD is minus infinity dB. (There will still be some noise between tracks from the analog electronics and you might be able to hear it, or not.)

+42dB SPL (acoustic loudness) is “reasonable” for fairly-quiet home environment ([u]loudness chart[/u]). 0dB SPL is approximately the quietest sound that can be heard and the only place you’ll get negative SPL levels is in an anechoic chamber, or in a vacuum (or in outer-space) where there is no air. (With no air you have minus infinity dB SPL).

…There is a direct correlation between digital levels and acoustic level but no standard calibration. If you reduce the digital level by 3dB the acoustic level also drops* by 3dB. But 0dB digital oy huge speakers with the volume turned-up may be louder than 0dB digital on your mini-system.

\

• I always use an example of lowering the volume because your amplifier is already maxed-out a digital increase won’t result in a corresponding acoustic increase.

Perhaps you are looking for Effect > Compressor ?

Hi!

-42dB on audacity, Digital level i think? (im noob)

The “digital maximum” is 0dBFS and most digital music (CDs & Mp3s, etc.) have peaks at or near 0dB with an average (or RMS or LUFS loudness) of around -20dB.

Maybe this is my problem with this ‘music’ and my simple player.
Sometimes too low (i wake), sometimes too high (i wake). (I have severe problems to sleep in a noisy place, and i live in a noisily place. Sadly cant afford other place)

If you use the Amplify effect, Audacity has already pre-scanned your file and it will default to whatever gain (or attenuation) is needed for normalized/maximized 0dB peaks. That’s as loud as you can go without (potential) digital > clipping> [u][/u] > (distortion). (WAV files are hard-limited to 0dB and your digital-to-analog converter is also limited to 0dB.)

Yeah! I read all docs before post, im new on this.
To get some good increase on dB i enabled “Allow clipping” and got distortions.

→ 42dBFS (digital) is unusually low > (for a peak or average dB level). Quiet parts can be -42dB or less and total digital silence between tracks on a CD is minus infinity dB. (There will still be > some > noise between tracks from the > analog > electronics and you > might > be able to hear it, or not.)

Im trying o keep all between -27dB and -18dB in digital, on audacity. And try to adjust on player a good ‘volume’.

+42dB SPL (acoustic loudness) is “reasonable” > for fairly-quiet home environment (> [u]loudness chart[/u]> ). 0dB SPL is approximately the quietest sound that can be heard and the only place you’ll get negative SPL levels is in an anechoic chamber, or in a vacuum (or in outer-space) where there is no air. (With no air you have minus infinity dB SPL).

…There is a direct > correlation > between digital levels and acoustic level but no standard > calibration. > If you reduce the digital level by 3dB the acoustic level also drops* by 3dB. But 0dB digital oy huge speakers with the volume turned-up may be louder than 0dB digital on your mini-system.

Understood.

• I always use an example of > lowering > the volume because your amplifier is already maxed-out a digital increase won’t result in a corresponding acoustic increase.

I need try this on other good quality system, the music is a little messed up. But now i think now is my player fault. Or at least it’s making the situation worse. I dont feel discomfort hearing the music from headset on PC. :thinking:

Many Thanks!

I will give a try. This one i never used.

Many thanks. :smiley:

After you amplify could use limiter, without make-up gain, to bring down the loud peaks.

Is there a quality compressor here on audacity?

Is there a quality compressor here on audacity?

Is there something wrong with Audacity’s built-in compressor?

It’s pretty standard with adjustable ratio, threshold, attack, and release, plus a couple of other features. There’s nothing wrong with the “quality” but of course with any tool, you can mess-up the sound… It’s always easier to break things with a tool than to build or repair something. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or there are tons of 3rd party compressors and I’m sure many of them work in Audacity. [u]Chris’s Compressor[/u] is a Nyquist plug-in (specifically for Audacity) and it’s a little different from most compressors.

The built-in limiter is excellent. It uses look-ahead so with most settings it doesn’t distort the wave shape like a regular analog limiter. (Limiting is a kind of fast-compression).

There are also some optional [u]Nyquist limiters and compressors[/u].