Vocals sound "on top of" instead of "in" mix.

Me, again.

Ok, I have a “backing track” that I am using to put some vocals over. And since I’m still new to the mixing game, I’m obviously doing something wrong. The vocals sound “on top of” the mix, instead of “in” the mix, if that makes sense.

How can I correct that in Audacity?

AutoDuck the music with the vocal.

[ Steve’s Dynamic-Mirror plugin also does ducking, I find it easier to use than Audcaity’s native AutoDuck ].

Or you could compress the final mix, (the only option if you only have the final mix to work with).

[ Audacity’s native compressor only has one frequency band, multi-band compressors do a better job ].

Post some of the work you don’t like, or perform a ten-second test. Export as WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit. Scroll down from a forum text window > Attachments > Add Files.

It’s possible there’s something technical wrong so it’s good to check that. There’s nothing quite like troubleshooting for a week only to find the microphone is plugged in wrong. Some international news organizations are going through this now.

But you may just be at the top of the list of things that are done to a performer’s voice before they finish the song.

Having the wrong echo can be one home problem. The backing track is perfectly executed, but you sound like you were recorded in the kitchen next to the dishwasher.

I have a favorite bad example of this. There is a Youtube explainer with terrific video, chroma-key, background, composition, and colors, but he has a recording-in-the-bathroom voice.

There is a much older example. Someone went through the trouble of executing a pitch-perfect television news set, lighting, desk, and all. they were fine until somebody said something. Instant kids recording in the bathroom.

Koz

Post two. The first one is a mix you don’t like. The second one is that voice clean with no mix.

Koz

I have two echo stories.

I was visiting someone in the next town over and they had a large “front room” with high peaked ceiling, carpet, and books on the walls. I so want to record someone’s voice singing in there.

The other is more exotic. The company building had a seven story tall isolated stairwell.

OK, Hands? How many people can sing in Latin? Let me get my recorder.

Agnus Dei,
qui tollis peccata mundi,
miserere nobis

If you have rooms like that, you may not need anything else.

Koz