Multitrack recording and my problem.

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Fourstring71
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Multitrack recording and my problem.

Post by Fourstring71 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:34 am

Trying to do some recording with multiple instruments. Using a Behringer Q802USB as an interface. I lay down one track. I go to add another track. So as to play along, I need to hear it. It then bleeds into the next track. Is there something I’m missing? A setting? Tried everything. Not working.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Multitrack recording and my problem.

Post by steve » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:53 am

Fourstring71 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:34 am
It then bleeds into the next track.
You need to work out how / where the output is getting into the input (for example, if you play through speakers and record with a mic, then the output from the speakers will spill over into the mic).

This section of the manual may help: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tut ... rdubs.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

jademan
Forum Crew
Operating System: Please select

Re: Multitrack recording and my problem.

Post by jademan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:09 pm

Fourstring71 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:34 am
I lay down one track. I go to add another track. So as to play along, I need to hear it. It then bleeds into the next track. Is there something I’m missing? A setting? Tried everything. Not working.
So one way to do this is select your headphones as Audacity's output device. Then there should be no bleeding.

If you send the output back to your Behringer, be sure to push the "USB/2-TR TO PHONES/CTRL RM" button. Otherwise, you mixer will mix it back into your recording.

Regardless, be sure to read steve's section on overdubbing...

I hope this helps. :D