Is there a plugin that automatically envelopes?

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Black Dog Bluez
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Is there a plugin that automatically envelopes?

Post by Black Dog Bluez » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:52 pm

Here is the previous edit sample (E4) now rejected because it had too much infra sound!
wolf_e4_sample_with_no_HP.wav
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
wolf e4.PNG
wolf e4.PNG (29.03 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
It's hard to hear the difference but I can and I still don't understand why a lot of professional releases retain this low-end and it sounds fine.. I'll guess it just depends what the heck is making the low-end noise, something good or bad? And then based on that, where to cut, all, some, or none?

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:29 am

Black Dog Bluez wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:43 pm
wolf_e5_sample_with_HP20_48.wav (1.67 MiB)
Could high-pass at 60Hz, rather than 20Hz ...

Green area is just noise, not music.gif
Green area is just noise, not music.gif (258.72 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
Black Dog Bluez wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:43 pm
... I had better results with electric guitar/mini amp ...
Can add mini-amp effect ...
like a mini-amp effect.flac
(352.16 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
like a mini-amp effect.png
like a mini-amp effect.png (14.08 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
"Helmet radio" plugin is here.

Black Dog Bluez

Post by Black Dog Bluez » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:11 am

As usual I've redid things not happy with any approach, again: I'm working with a low fi recording recorded in a car! a lot working against it not to mention talent-that's a whole other discussion. So just to get the best out of these here's what I did:

Session 1: Odessa Edits (ALL-IN-1) 28 minutes! "EN3"/Edit New 3rd Try. All-in-1:

PRE[NR9/12]-noise reduction

TDR Nova (parallel dynamic equalizer - free plugin) [adding high pass 15/24, 22kHz-left filter compression 20 dBs/2 ratio] with EQ gain on

GMax9/1 (GVST - free plugin)

SPIT[en] (Spitfish - free plugin)

Loudness Normalization 13.

Side note/question: I mistakenly left the TDR Nova in stereo mode on these mono recordings, I do not want to do over! Does anyone think this changed the results/made a difference? I did a test and it did not seem to make a difference. I did not test mono-TDR applied on a stereo track though, versus stereo-TDR applied on a stereo track (not my concern here..).

"just noise, not music"

Does this spect./loga. (screen shot) look good? Is enough low-end cut (i.e., noise)? Screen shots are of whole project not of sample audio attached. The plot spectrum pic' is of the first 237.8 seconds of the project. FYI: I edit with waveform (linear) color 1-orange.
spectrogram-logarythmic-28min-session.PNG
spectrogram-logarythmic-28min-session.PNG (355.73 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
odessa session 1 EN3.PNG
odessa session 1 EN3.PNG (28.52 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
New "EN3" edits are online (labeled EN3) at https://www.soundclick.com/reverendblackdog

New EN3 sample audio:
201031_trk2_en3_sample.wav
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 18 times

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:42 am

Black Dog Bluez wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:11 am
TDR Nova (parallel dynamic equalizer - free plugin)
[adding high pass 15/24, 22kHz-left filter compression 20 dBs/2 ratio] ...

SPIT[en] (Spitfish - free plugin)
TDR Nova has "De-ess(linked)" preset which would allow you to dispense with Spitfish ...

TDR Nova 'De-ess(linked)'.gif
Compress & de-ess at the same time
TDR Nova 'De-ess(linked)'.gif (1.18 MiB) Viewed 1132 times
Black Dog Bluez wrote:
I mistakenly left the TDR Nova in stereo mode on these mono recordings ...
That won't make any difference to the result.

Infrasound is only potentially a problem if it is present before you apply compressor/limiters.

Black Dog Bluez wrote:
201031_trk2_en3_sample.wav (1.74 MiB)
I'd be tempted to apply distortion to create higher harmonics ...

Cyanide2 waveshaper (distortion) plugin

StereoTouch (pseudostereo-delay)

Black Dog Bluez

Post by Black Dog Bluez » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:12 pm

Update- My new edits are labeled Eao for edit as Odessa, Odessa being my favorite song edit result so far of my trial and errors, here: https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14145195

My conclusion for my type of low quality recordings is to not cut anything except to get the volume up - so (for the most part) I just used harsh compression. GVST's GCom at 6 ratio 20 threshold 10 limiter 50/50 peak/rms, basically the "Mix" preset modified some. The low-end I left, no high pass added, even noise reduction diminished things for me so I did not use it either. To me these sound best untouched-raw but the volumes are too low. Thanks for the help though and I remain open minded to any further help and will explore those links ASAP and update any new revelations I might have.

Thanks Trebor.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:46 pm

Black Dog Bluez wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:12 pm
My conclusion for my type of low quality recordings is to not cut anything except to get the volume up - so (for the most part) I just used harsh compression. GVST's GCom at 6 ratio 20 threshold 10 limiter 50/50 peak/rms, basically the "Mix" preset modified some.
Multi-band is going to produce a better result than single band ...

Gmulti compression suggestion for Odessa.png
Note: Band1 is "M"uted
Gmulti compression suggestion for Odessa.png (37.85 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
I still have the old version of Gmulti, the newer one looks different but acts the same.

Black Dog Bluez

Post by Black Dog Bluez » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:54 am

Thanks Trebor I experimented with the GVST GMulti compressor and you're right! I got better results, and I compressed/and more without having to use high pass i.e, low cut. It's quite a learning curve though.. more trial and error needed. I see I can lower or raise whole band levels along with adding compression, or not, in the three bands, dividing the song into three sections.

As far as the stereo width I wasn't sure so I left them at default ..(0, 100, 100)..(Control right click).

The stereo width goes from 0-200. Is 100 normal, untouched/unaltered? And would mono tracks be effected the same as stereo per this setting? The manual doesn't explain this feature very well.

New edit using GMulti so far: "Blue Haze/TheresAlwaysBeenAMask.. Egm" (Edit G Multi) -big improvement! Thanks again! :) Have a great year all, Kill your television!!

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:56 am

Black Dog Bluez wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:54 am
... As far as the stereo width I wasn't sure so I left them at default ..(0, 100, 100)..(Control right click).

The stereo width goes from 0-200. Is 100 normal, untouched/unaltered? And would mono tracks be effected the same as stereo per this setting? ...
Yes, 100 makes no change to the stereo-image, 0* makes that band mono, >100 makes the stereo image wider.
If you're working on a mono track, the stereo-width controls make no difference to the end result:
Gmulti does not add pseudo-stereo, it only widens/narrows the existing stereo-image.

[ * the bass band (band 1) should usually be mono, i.e. 0 width ].

Black Dog Bluez

Post by Black Dog Bluez » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:35 am

More thanks Treb! Rolling right along here.. I used the Voxengo stereo touch! To good results and only on a mono, never duplicating to stereo and it worked assuming that is what it is intended to do work for just mono.. though I need to seek a manual out for this plugin, or experiment with it on a dual mono stereo and see. It did work though on just mono - and I like the ease of working with mono, especially when I recorded mono, here's a before and after "stereo touch" of a new song I'm still editing.

here's with Vox..stereo touch here's without
Thanks 'gain Treb,

Reverend Black Dog
https://www.reverbnation.com/revblackdog

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:36 am

Black Dog Bluez wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:35 am
... I used the Voxengo stereo touch! To good results and only on a mono,
never duplicating to stereo and it worked assuming that is what it is intended to do work for just mono..
It will just add mono delays, (& if enabled, High Pass Filter & Low Pass Filter will be applied to the delayed signal only),
so no pseudo-stereo effect.

When I use Voxengo stereo-touch I duplicate the mono track, join them into a stereo-pair, beforehand,
then applying stereo-touch produces a wide pseudo-stereo effect.

Then I can tweak the stereo-width in Gmulti or OvertoneGEQ*, (e.g. reduce stereo-width of the bass).

[ * another freebie from Voxengo. It's 2 equalizers: one for the middle & one for the side.
(On a mono track there is no side) ].