Issues with guitar recording

Hi all,

First time posting here. So I picked up my guitar after a long time; I used to make amateur recordings on my laptop connecting : my guitar (Epiphone special II) → my processor (Digitech RP90) and using the mono amp/mixer 6.35 mm output → 3.5 mm mic adapter → laptop mic in. I used audacity to record and create music and would like to continue to do so.

Cut to the present, laptops have changed in one major way, there are no longer separate audio out and in jacks, just one common 4 connector jack. I use a Dell latitude 5501 using windows 10 pro. Somehow my adapters (I tried a couple of them) won’t work anymore :frowning: so I can’t record anything.
I know it’s not an Audacity related issue, but this seemed to be the right forum as microsoft/dell help is usually useless.

I tried a lot of things: reinstalling my audio drivers, using Valeton Rushead max’s headphone output as my mic in. I know the jack is good because standard headsets work fine with my laptop, the mic and all.
Any suggestions ? I’m at my wits’ end here and don’t want to spend unnecessarily on more gear. I was looking at USB sound cards and 6.35 mm → USB adapter cables but based on reviews the cheap ones (< 10$) are a hit or miss, mainly because they don’t come with a driver and I’m afraid my PC won’t recognize it at all. The ones that come with drivers are comparatively expensive.

Cheers!

Do you have an adapter [u]like this[/u] that breaks-out the microphone & headphone connections?

Note that a microphone input is “not correct” for a guitar so you probably won’t get the best quality.

I was looking at USB sound cards and 6.35 mm → USB adapter cables

Of course, USB is digital so even if it looks like a “cable” it’s not just a cable and it essentially has a soundcard built-in.

The [u]Behringer UGC 102[/u] is popular and relatively inexpensive or there are lots of higher end [u]USB audio interfaces[/u] with switchable mic/line inputs.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply… no I don’t have a breakout adapter like that… do you think that would work? I could get that first to try… If not, behringer would be my next option…

Thanks!

Also for the behringer link, I believe it should also work if I connect my processor to the device instead of my guitar correct? Also, is recording directly through a guitar generally better and then I get my effects through a digital processor or through my processor itself? I don’t imagine it would be a great deal of difference considering my processor is also digital…

do you think that would work?

Yes it should “work.” I guess a mic input was working for you before… But you won’t get the best results. No professional studio would use a guitar into the mic input on a laptop/soundcard. It’s not even the correct input for a stage/studio mic.

Also for the behringer link, I believe it should also work if I connect my processor to the device instead of my guitar correct?

Correct. The signal level (signal voltage) from the processor should be about the same as the signal from the guitar because they are both designed to be plugged into a guitar amp. It may be amplified or attenuated depending on the effect box’s settings.

However, the processor output impedance is probably lower than the guitar. If you plug the guitar into a lower-impedance mic input the signal gets attenuated and the tone changes (I think the highs get rolled off). The lower-impedance processor output is less affected by the low-impedance mic input. The attenuation might actually be a good thing because a mic signal is lower than a guitar signal…

Also, is recording directly through a guitar generally better and then I get my effects through a digital processor or through my processor itself?

That’s hard to say. It will probably sound different than the direct guitar, and that’s the whole point of using a pedal/effects box!

Am I correct that the processor does not have a digital (USB) output? If it has USB that would be the best way to connect the computer.

That is correct…my processor doesn’t have a USB out. It does have a 3.5 mm headphone output, will that be better to use with the mic in on my laptop than the 6.35 mm out?

A headphone is not “right” for a mic input either. A headphone output will work into line-in on a regular soundcard in a desktop/tower computer.