recording drums

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
dkwrnr
Operating System: Windows 10

recording drums

Post by dkwrnr » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:51 pm

I am interested in doing home recording of an 8pc drumset. I'd like to eventually be able to save to an SD card to share with another musician.
I have used audacity long ago to convert analog vinyl songs to digital, so I am somewhat familiar.....
can anyone give a fairly comprehensive list of items needed to record? and how best to utilize audacity?
at this point I only have the drums, and a PC running windows 10. But lots of ambition.
thanks in advance.

DW

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: recording drums

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:39 pm

home recording of an 8pc drumset.
The drumset and Audacity are not going to be the problem. The home is. Where were you planning on playing? The original owner of my home had a kid that played drums. They completely soundproofed the tiny third bedroom so the drum sound was crisp, clear, sharp and differentiated (and didn't bother the neighbors).

If you don't do that, the drum sound is going to be echoey, sloppy, mushy, and very playing in the bathroom, whether you're actually in the bathroom or not.

Do you have a garage? There's no shortage of bands that record in the garage. A peaked roof and lots of boxes and storage can make terrific sound treatment. That and you can get a mic far enough away from the drums to keep one sound from taking over the others.

Is there a budget?

Will you be working from a click track, or were you planning on being the rhythm reference for everybody else? Whoever is second in this process is going to need to set up for overdubbing right? Play your track in their ears while they're performing live into a fresh track.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm

I didn't ask if the 8 pieces were 8 impact pads and each one electronically producing the sound. One of my favorite groups did one song like that and it was pretty awful.

OK. SWAG Engineering. Scientific, Wild-Ass Guess. Shure SM-57 Dynamic microphone. Behringer UM2 mic preamp and USB interface. One XLR cable and I think the UM2 comes with its own USB cable.

My preference is the On-Stage-Stands boom stand. That's it holding up a mic for an interview.

OnStageStands9701B. It folds up.

SM-57 is widely regarded as "The Drum Mic" and is the sister to the SM-58 vocal rock band mic. It's a dynamic (moving coil) microphone and it's almost impossible to overload or break it.

Make sure there is a mic clip in there somewhere to connect the microphone to the stand.

Forget the tiny recorder for a minute. That's my stand with a clothespin mic clip.

The UM2 interface will do all the jobs needed for live headphone monitoring and overdubbing.

That leaves headphones. I'm going to quietly back away. They should be wired and close fitting around your head. Sennheiser makes terrific headphones. I'm pretty sure the ones I like are no longer made

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 pm

I see a bundle with this microphone and a Shure X2U preamp and interface. I have an X2U. It's in a box in the garage.

This bundle seems to have everything in it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -and-cable

Koz

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:51 pm

dkwrnr wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:51 pm
I am interested in doing home recording of an 8pc drumset.
I'd like to eventually be able to save to an SD card to share with another musician.
You can share* music on SoundCloud for free, e.g. ...
https://soundcloud.com/smart-bass-acade ... rum-100bpm
[* can be via a unique private link sent to a specific person, rather than public].

torro100

Post by torro100 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi
I want to do the same but with an edrum set from yamaha DTX500.
Tried do connect "phones" with a 3.5 mm cable to pc Headset plug, also "Output L/Mono".
My Laptop has no seperate "Line In"
But cannot hear anything in audacity.
Doesn't matter what I choose in the device section.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:31 pm

I want to do the same
You want to do the same thing only different. You will not be using a microphone since your drumset already has electronic delivery.

Connect the two yamaha DTX500 Line-Outs with two of these...

Through a stereo RCA cable.

And into a stereo Line To USB adapter such as the Behringer UCA-202.

Doesn't matter which computer you use. This works with both Windows and Macs.

Connect everything, let the computer settle down a bit and then start Audacity. Look for a recording connection labeled USB Audio CODEC. That's the Behringer with your music on it.

You can get much cheaper "Stereo USB Adapters," but most of them overload easily, distort, and don't actually record stereo. They Play stereo which lets then advertise "Stereo."

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:35 pm

Some newer computers don't have USB A any more. You need to sort which adapters you need.

Koz

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Post by DVDdoug » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:48 pm

My Laptop has no seperate "Line In"
The microphone connection will "work" but you won't get good quality and it's usually mono.
to pc Headset plug
If you have a single mic-headphone combo jack you need a 4-conductor TRRS adapter to make the microphone connection. There is only one microphone contact so this kind of mic input is always mono. (A regular headphone plug will work if you're just listening with headphones.)

The Behringer UCA202 or UCA222 is a (relatively) inexpensive USB audio interface with line inputs. Or, there are lots of higher-end audio interfaces with switchable mic*/line inputs. You'll need the appropriate adapter/cables. The little Behringer interfaces have RCA connectors and most audio interfaces use separate left & right 1/4" TS/TRS or XLR connectors.

* Audio interfaces work with stage/studio mics. They are not compatible with "computer microphones".

dkwrnr

Post by dkwrnr » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:29 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 pm
I see a bundle with this microphone and a Shure X2U preamp and interface. I have an X2U. It's in a box in the garage.

This bundle seems to have everything in it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -and-cable

Koz
I have now acquired a usb capable mixer, and have started with a 3 mic set up, two matched condenser overheads, and a dynamic kick. I am about to start recording, but I am apprehensive because audacity may not have the ability for separate tracks with what I have. does this sound right?
do I HAVE to have an audio interface??

DW